Phone: +33 1 6072 4851
Global Strategy & Management, International Business and Multinational Enterprises
Global Strategy and Management, Readings and Research on Multinational Enterprises, Strategy and Management, Top Leadership
Subi Rangan received an MBA from the MIT Sloan School of Management and a Ph.D. in political economy from Harvard University.
His current work explores the future of capitalism and in particular how enterprises may better integrate performance and progress. In 2013 he initiated the Society for Progress, a fellowship of eminent philosophers, social scientists, and business leaders (www.societyforprogress.org). Their first work was published in a volume entitled Performance & Progress: Essays on Capitalism, Business, and Society (Oxford University Press, 2015). Their second book is Capitalism Beyond Mutuality? Perspectives Integrating Philosophy and Social Science (Oxford University Press, 2018).
His other research explores the political sociology of discrimination of foreign transnational firms and these firms’ non-market strategies. In 1998 he won the Academy of International Business’ Eldridge Haynes Prize for the best original work in international business. In 1995 that academy awarded their Best Dissertation Award to his doctoral thesis. In 2010 his research won the Emerald award for Top 50 papers in management.
His articles appear in the Administrative Science Quarterly, Academy of Management Review, Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Journal of International Business Studies, Strategic Management Journal, Sloan Management Review, and Harvard Business Review. Subi is coauthor of two books: Manager in the International Economy, and A Prism on Globalization. He is associate editor of the Academy of Management Review; former chair of the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council on Emerging Multinationals; a member of the board of trustees of Fundacao Dom Cabral, a leading business school in Brazil; and a member of the Board of the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship.
Subi directs INSEAD’s top executive seminar AVIRA: Awareness, Vision, Imagination, Role, and Action, as well as the newly launched Integrating Performance & Progress. Professor Rangan is a multiple-time recipient of the Outstanding Teacher award and Dean’s Commendation for Excellence in Teaching. He is married and has a daughter and son.
- Books - Capitalism Beyond Mutuality? Perspectives Integrating Philosophy and Social Science - Oxford University Press
- Books - Performance and Progress Essays on Capitalism, Business, and Society - Oxford University Press
- Journal Articles - How macrostructure shapes multinational competition - Global Strategy Journal
- Journal Articles - TEN Youth: Unlocking Enterprise Growth by Focusing on the Fortune at the Bottom of the Talent Pyramid - Innovations
- Journal Articles - Making Sustainability Profitable: Lessons from Emerging Markets - Harvard Business Review
- Journal Articles - The Problem of Control, and the Role of Home-host Ties in Explaining Multinationals' Foreign Operations, Competitiveness, and Performance - Global Strategy Journal
- Journal Articles - Information Technology and Transnational Integration: Theory and Evidence on the Evolution of the Modern Multinational Enterprise - Journal of International Business Studies
- Journal Articles - The Influence of Macro Structure on the Foreign Market Performance of Transnational Firms the Value of IGO Connections, Export Dependence, and Immigration Links - Administrative Science Quarterly
- Book Chapters - Globalization the JEDI way - Gibson Square
- Book Chapters - Globalization the JEDI Way
- Journal Articles - Constructive Partnerships: When Alliances Between Private Firms and Public Actors Can Enable Creative Strategies - Academy of Management Review
- Journal Articles - Explaining Outcomes in Competition Among Foreign Multinationals in a Focal Host Market - Strategic Management Journal
- Journal Articles - Profits and the Internet: Seven Misconceptions - MIT Sloan Management Review
- Journal Articles - The Problem of Search and Deliberation in Economic Action: When Social Networks really Matter - Academy of Management Review
- Journal Articles - The Responses of U.S. Firms to Exchange Rate Fluctuations: Piercing the Corporate Veil - Brookings Papers
- Books - A Prism on Globalization: Corporate Responses to the Dollar
- Books - The Manager in the International Economy - Prentice Hall
- Case Studies - Building Cost Competitiveness at the New Philips: The Need for Collaborative Leadership
- Case Studies - SAP in 2006: Aiming for Global Concert