Begins 18 Nov 2019
Begins 24 Feb 2020
Find the right path to optimise your business portfolio
Developing and managing a successful portfolio of businesses requires taking the right path to acquire, redeploy or divest resources and capabilities. Whether that means a merger, an acquisition, an alliance, a licensing contract, a divestment or internal development, it is imperative to understand the pros and cons of each path and to learn which is most appropriate for a successful corporate strategy.
The M&As and Corporate Strategy Programme, has been designed by INSEAD faculty based on their most recent research and teaching innovations. It uses case studies developed at INSEAD that feature real-world examples of portfolio growth and restructuring, as well as value-creating and value-destroying, M&As and divestitures. These are sourced from a range of industries that include financial services, telecommunications, packaging, chemicals and manufacturing.
Mapping the path to optimise your portfolio of businesses is a challenging task. With help from INSEAD faculty and a select group of peers, you will undertake a learning journey to explore three critical questions:
— What is the right composition of your portfolio of businesses to provide the set of resources and capabilities your company needs to create value?
— How to select the right mix of internal and external corporate development tools to manage your business portfolio?
— How to develop a rigorous, holistic approach to successfully manage M&As and divestitures to strategically supplement your internal development and restructuring efforts?
How you benefit
- Portfolio examination. Define your optimal portfolio of businesses, as well as the right mix of internal and external growth
- Preparation for an M&A. Enhance your M&A capabilities through the development of a disciplined and holistic process for acquiring and integrating new resources and skills
- Post-M&A counseling. Design a post-M&A integration approach that fits strategic objectives, while also taking into account human constraints
This programme is designed for:
- CEOs, general managers, senior executives, board members and those responsible for corporate strategy
- Corporate development officers, heads of M&As and those responsible for corporate partnerships
- Company advisors such as lawyers and investment bankers, or private equity executives concerned with M&A deals
This programme qualifies for the INSEAD Certificate in Global Management.
Which Strategy programme is for you?
We offer a variety of Strategy programmes designed to equip business leaders with the rigorous strategic thinking skills to uncover opportunities for creating and capturing value. View the comparison grid below to find out which Strategy programme best matches your needs.
Every entrepreneur tries to maximize his startup growth by building and selling more products and services to the widest geographic area that he can support. This strategy is called “organic growth,” yet it alone may yield only a fraction of the potential you could achieve, unless you add the additional strategies of partnerships and M&A (mergers and acquisitions).
Don’t be driven into acquiring rivals to grow your business — it can often end in tears, an academic tells Carly Chynoweth.