Making your strategy work by overcoming the barriers to execution
Most companies believe that after careful strategic review, analysis and planning, they have a winning strategy. However, our research shows that many strategies fail to succeed as executives often overlook the intangible factors such as politics, emotions, and culture. The result of this is both organisational failure and individual stress and frustration – especially for the executives charged with implementation.
These executives have clear ideas and know what they need to do – and yet they cannot get it done. They may even have read the recent research, showing that hidden psychological or political factors are as important for success as the rational or tangible factors.
INSEAD’s Strategy Execution Programme provides the insights and tools to bridge that difficult gap between the rational development of strategy and real-life execution. It helps to identify hidden traps, balance the rational with the emotional and build the internal capability to continue implementing strategy successfully. Last but not least, the programme provides a ready-made support network in the form of fellow participants facing similar challenges. Arrive with a strategy report... and leave with an action plan that delivers results.
How you benefit
- Gain clarity on your strategic challenge. Come with a heightened awareness of your strategic aspirations and challenges and leave with a more realistic, actionable plan of execution
- Identify hidden barriers. Gain new insights about the hidden barriers to strategic execution and how to overcome them
- Build an actionable plan of execution. Acquire a deep understanding of how to get results from future strategic initiatives
- Understand the psychological dynamics between strategy execution practitioners and stakeholders
The programme is designed to benefit three key groups: managers who are new to implementing strategy; those moving into a more challenging implementation role; or executives simply looking for new ideas to try where others have failed.
Typically, they will be:
- General managers who head business units, e.g. country managers, or product or division heads
- Executives with accountability for outcome and direct control of significant resources (budgets and groups of people), e.g. heads of business units, managers of significant departments or leaders of major project teams.
This programme qualifies for the INSEAD Certificate in Global Management.
Distinguished Leaders of Strategy Execution
Our Distinguished Leaders of Strategy Execution have consistently excelled in their management profession, having attended the Strategy Execution Programme and are now sharing their experience and best practices in strategy execution.
There are all kind of hidden barriers that you need to negotiate and develop the flexibility to navigate along the way. What I learned at INSEAD are things that I still practice in my daily working life, in this regard.
CEO and Co-Owner of Fischer Spindle Group, AG
You see things you haven’t seen before or that you might have taken for granted. The Strategy Execution Programme made me really rethink corporate politics, and the difficulties we all have in breaking with old strategies or old behaviours that are no longer fit for purpose.
Gerrit Jan Konijnenberg
Director of Strategic Development at Telenor Maritime, Non-Executive Director at RoamsysNext
You become so much more purposeful about your awareness of so many things, particularly of people and emotions, including yourself and your own.
VP Global Head of Color & Design Engineering Plastics at Covestro
Which Strategy programme is for you?
We offer a variety of Strategy programmes designed to equip business leaders with the rigorous strategic thinking skills to uncover opportunities for creating and capturing value. View the At a Glance grid below to find out which Strategy programme best matches your needs.
Methanol produced with solar and wind energy is a clean and cheap alternative fuel that could slash China’s emissions by as much as 80 percent.