Phone: +33 1 60 72 43 76
Value-Based Strategy, Formal Foundations of Strategy, Industrial Organisation, Competitive Strategy
Competitive Strategy, Blue Ocean Strategy, Industry Evolution
Information Technology, Leisure, Entertainment & Hotels, Media & Photography, Retailing
Professor Zemsky has been part of the INSEAD leadership team since 2010. He has had global responsibility for Faculty and Research, Degree Programmes including MBA and EMBA, IT and Digital Communications, and the development of the school’s Middle East campus. He has served as Acting and Interim Dean of the school. He led the creation of the school’s Degree Programmes department, a doubling of the school’s EMBA programme including the launch of a Singapore section, and the creation of an MBA period in Abu Dhabi. As the Deputy Dean, he currently plays an important role in external relations especially in Europe and leads the Executive Education department. As Dean of Strategic Initiatives and Innovation, he is responsible for the school’s digital strategy including the development of its online education capabilities and offerings. Professor Zemsky is directing the Strategy in the Age of Digital Disruption Programme.
As an undergraduate at the University of Pennsylvania, he was recognised as the outstanding graduating economics major and then pursued his doctoral studies at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, where he was supported by a prestigious National Science Foundation graduate fellowship. Today, Professor Zemsky is a leading scholar in the economics of strategy, with numerous academic publications in the top strategy and economics journals. Areas of research include disruptive technologies, resource accumulation, the sustainability of competitive advantage and the choice of generalist versus specialist strategies. His research has played an important role in the development of a value-based approach to strategy with rigorous economic treatments of traditional verbal theories of strategy. His doctoral students have been recognised three times by the Academy of Management for having the best dissertation in strategy, and have been hired by leading business schools including Wharton, NYU, HEC and IESE.
Professor Zemsky has taught core strategy courses across the school’s educational programmes, with a particular focus on shaping and responding to disruption and industry dynamics. He has several nominations for best MBA core teacher, including when he was a visiting Professor at Wharton in 2003. He has recently developed online courses on strategy and digital disruption for leading companies, including Microsoft and Accenture Strategy, that have been completed by over ten thousand participants. His online solutions were recognised in 2015 by the Chief Learning Officer’s Learning in Practice Awards for “Excellence in Blended Technology” (Gold) and for “Excellence in Content” (Silver), and by Brandon Hall Awards for “Best Results of a Learning Program” (Gold) and “Best Unique or Innovative Learning and Development Program” (Gold).
After over twenty years living in France, Professor Zemsky is a dual US and French citizen. He has four children.
- WORKING PAPERS - Value Creation and Value Capture under Moral Hazard: Exploring the Micro-Foundations of Buyer-Supplier Relationships
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Some Like It Free: Innovators Strategic Use of Disclosure to Slow Down Competition - Strategic Management Journal
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Value Creation and Value Capture with Frictions - Strategic Management Journal
- CASE STUDIES - Pfizer and the Distribution of Pharmaceuticals in Europe in 2009
- WORKING PAPERS - Time Consuming Technology Development: How Imitation and Spillovers Affect Competitive Dynamics
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - The Timing of Resource Development and Sustainable Competitive Advantage - Management Science
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - The Horizontal Scope of the Firm: Organizational Tradeoffs vs. Buyer-Supplier Relationships - Management Science
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - A Demand-Based Perspective on Sustainable Competitive Advantage - Strategic Management Journal