Phone: +33 1 60 72 45 43
Retailing, Social Media, Marketing Insight, New Products, Value Creation and Value Capture
Marketing Strategy, Branding, Retail and Distribution
Marcel is the Emeritus Professor of Marketing and the Unilever Chaired Professor of Marketing, Emeritus, at INSEAD.
After his studies in Belgium, Marcel received his PhD from the University of California, Berkeley. His doctoral dissertation won first prize from the American Marketing Association. He taught at Berkeley, University of California, and in 1978 he joined INSEAD. He has been a visiting professor at Cornell and Stanford universities.
At INSEAD, Marcel has conducted his research and consulting activities in marketing strategy with a particular focus on innovation, distribution channels and the interaction between distributors and manufacturers. His current research focuses on the relationship between manufacturers and retailers in the fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) industry.
Marcel is the author and developer of a number of educational computer-based simulations and decision-making support systems (most recently, Allocator and phValue). His most widely known products are Stratpharm and Elexir simulations for the pharmaceutical industry, accompanied by a book Marketing Strategy in the Pharmaceutical Industry, and Storewars designed for the FMCG industry. Based on Storewars, Marcel and his wife Judith Corstjens co-authored a book Store Wars: The Battle for Mindspace and Shelfspace (J. Wiley & Sons), which analyses and proposes strategies for manufacturers and retailers in the FMCG industry. Marcel is the creator and director of the Storewars programme for senior executives in the consumer goods industries.
Marcel has published articles in a number of international academic journals including Marketing Science, Management Science, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Researchr, Journal of Business. His research has been featured in the Harvard Business Review, and The Economist.
Marcel's consulting activities focus on marketing strategy in the pharmaceutical and FMCG industries.
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Retail Doesn’t Cross Borders: Here’s Why and What to Do About It - Harvard Business Review
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - The Power of Inertia: Conservatism in Marketing Resource Allocation - Journal of Advertising Research
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Competition, Risk and Return in the US Grocery Industry - Review of Marketing Science
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - An International Empirical Analysis of the Financial Performance of Manufacturers and Retailers - Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services
- WORKING PAPERS - Financial Risk and Return across the Grocery Supply Chain
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - New-product Success in the Pharmaceutical Industry: How Many Bites at the Cherry? - Economics of Innovation and New Technology
- SIMULATIONS - MARKPACK: A Marketing Decision Support System
- SIMULATIONS - STORWARS: A Consumer Goods' Marketing Simulation
- SIMULATIONS - STRATPHARM: A Pharmaceutical Business Game
- WORKING PAPERS - How do Investors Assess the Relative Performance of Retailers and Manufacturers in the US and Europe?
- WORKING PAPERS - Stock Market Performance of Family Firms
- WORKING PAPERS - How do Investors Assess the Relative Performance of Retailers and Manufacturers in the US and in Europe?
- WORKING PAPERS - Performance of Family Firms: Evidence from US and European firms and investors
- BOOKS - Store Wars: The Battle for Shelfspace and Mind Space - John Wiley and Sons