Phone: +33 1 6072 9047
Strategy, Industrial Organisation, International Trade, International Business
Strategy, Corporate Strategy and M&A
James's research interest is on how firm strategy and industrial organization is affected by the broader institutional environment. James has taught courses on strategy and economics to undergraduates, MBAs and executives.
Before joining INSEAD, James received his PhD in Business Economics from Harvard University/Harvard Business School. James's prior education includes a Masters in Business Administration from Harvard Business School, where he graduated Baker Scholar, and a MPhil in Finance and a BA in Mathematics from Cambridge University, U.K..
James has over a ten years experience as a consultant. James was a management consultant in the London and New York offices of McKinsey & Company from 1991 to 2001, except for the two years to complete his MBA. James advised primarily on issues of business unit strategy and corporate strategy to clients across a range of industries. James has also consulted with ghSmart & Company, with a focus on assessment of senior management teams for private equity investors.
At INSEAD James teaches in the MBA programme and in a range of executive education programmes. Within executive education, James’s programme direction has been with companies from a wide range of sectors and geographies, including KPMG, Toshiba, Amdocs, Orkla, Borregaard, OliverWyman, GERBUS (http://www.gerbus-academy.com/), NSG, and Ferrovial.
- Case Studies - Bird Office: Developing a Competitive Advantage
- Case Studies - Monkey Tie: Building an Open Human Resources Ecosystem
- Case Studies - Panasonic Veggie Life: High-tech Salad
- Case Studies - Evolution of VivaKi at Publicis: Navigating the Digital Transformation of Marketing
- Case Studies - Axiom Law Redefined: Innovation in Legal Services
- Case Studies - Vizio: Entry and Growth in Television Market
- Case Studies - Enterprise: Infrastructure Maintenance Services in the U.K.
- Case Studies - Flat-Screen Televisions
- Case Studies - ghSMART: Management Assessment Firm for CEOs and Investors
- Case Studies - Development of Food Retailing in India (B): Consumer’s Choice of Food Retailer: Hypermarkets, Supermarkets, Kirana, Markets, etc.
- Case Studies - Development of Food Retailing in India (A): Entry and Growth of Domestic and Foreign Players
- Case Studies - Development of Food Retailing in India (C): From Farm to Fork via Supermarkets
- Working Papers - Effect of Spillovers on Foreign versus Domestic Industry Leadership in a Developing Economy
- Book Chapters - The Dynamics of Firm Level Adjustment to Trade Liberalization - Harvard University Press