Phone: +33 (0)1 6072 4816
Strategic Agility and Corporate Renewal, Multinational Management, Strategic Alliances, Management of Technology and Innovation, Public Administration Reform
Design and Direction of INSEAD Executive Programmes and PhD Course on Strategy Process
Yves Doz is the Solvay Chaired Professor of Technological Innovation at INSEAD. He was Dean of Executive Education (1998-2002) and Associate Dean for Research and Development (1990-1995) at INSEAD. Yves Doz received his Doctoral degree from Harvard University and is a graduate of the Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales (Jouy-en-Josas, France). From 2005 until early 2011, he was also a part-time Visiting Professor at Aalto University (formerly Helsinki School of Economics), where he also acted as Visiting Research Dean of the Center for Knowledge and Innovation Research. He has taught at the Harvard Business School, Stanford’s Graduate School of Business, Seoul National University, and Aoyama Gakuin University in Tokyo.
His research on the strategy and organization of multinational companies led to numerous publications, including several books, in particular The Multinational Mission: Balancing Local Demands and Global Vision, co-authored with CK. Prahalad (1987) and From Global to Metanational: How Companies Win in the Knowledge Economy co-authored with José Santos and Peter Williamson (Harvard Business School Press, 2001) which shows how companies can mobilize dispersed knowledge to learn from the world. His most recent research work on this topic is featured in his new book, Managing Global Innovation, co-authored with Keeley Wilson, published in 2012 by Harvard Business Review Press.
Professor Doz currently also carries out research on how companies can achieve strategic agility. In early 2008, he published Fast Strategy: How Strategic Agility will Help you Stay ahead of the Game, (Wharton School Press, with Dr Mikko Kosonen, formerly CIO at Nokia). The research is based on field work at leading global companies. Leadership behaviours in these companies, as they rekindled growth, are detailed in a way that can serve as examples and be readily put in practice. The book has received widespread acclaim and has been translated into Arabic, Chinese, Czech, Finnish, German, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Thai. His research is being extended to strategic agility for countries, in collaboration with several national governments.
Professor Doz directs the Managing Partnerships and Strategic Alliances Programme at INSEAD, an executive seminar drawn from his research on strategic alliances (Alliance Advantage, a seminal work co-authored with Gary Hamel was published in 1998).
His research work won numerous awards, in particular a Distinguished Scholar Award from the Academy of Management (2003) and an election as “Inaugural Fellow of the Strategic Management Society” (2005). Prof. Doz was elected Fellow of the Academy of Management (2006), and was also nominated by The Economist as one of a handful of European ‘Management Gurus’. He is a frequent speaker at management conferences and corporate events. He was President of the Academy of International Business in 2008-2010.
Prof. Doz’ business experience includes work on multinational aircraft programs; he has consulted for many major multinational corporations and taught in their internal development programs. His recent assignments have included advising multinationals on the development of new growth platforms and designing and implementing competitive revitalization programs.
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Embedding Strategic Agility : A Leadership Agenda for Accelerating Business Model Renewal - Long Range Planning
- BOOKS - Fast Strategy: How Strategic Agility Will Help you Stay Ahead of the Game - Wharton School Publishing
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - The New Deal at the Top - Harvard Business Review
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Creating New Growth Platforms - Harvard Business Review
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Managing Formation Processes in R&D Consortia - California Management Review
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Is Your Innovation Process Global? - MIT Sloan Management Review
- BOOKS - From Global to Metanational: How Companies Win in the Knowledge Economy - Harvard Business School Press
- BOOKS - Alliance Advantage: The Art of Creating Value Through Partnering - Harvard Business School Press
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - The Evolution of Cooperation in Strategic Alliances: Initial Conditions or Learning Processes? - Strategic Management Journal