Phone: 33 (0)1 60 72 41 55
Leadership Development/Entrepreneurship, Cross-Cultural Management, The Dynamics of Organisational Transformation and Change, Leadership Coaching/Psychotherapy, Team Dynamics/ Group Coaching, Career Dynamics, Family Business and Succession Planning, Executive Stress
Program Director of INSEAD's Top Management Seminar - The Challenge of Leadership: Creating Reflective Leaders, Scientific Director of Executive Master in Consulting and Coaching for Change
MANFRED F. R. KETS DE VRIES brings a different view to the much-studied subjects of leadership and the dynamics of individual and organizational change. Bringing to bear his knowledge and experience of economics (Econ. Drs., University of Amsterdam), management (ITP, M.B.A., and D.B.A., Harvard Business School), and psychoanalysis (Canadian Psychoanalytic Society and the International Psychoanalytic Association), he scrutinizes the interface between international management, psychoanalysis, psychotherapy, and dynamic psychiatry. His specific areas of interest are leadership, career dynamics, executive stress, entrepreneurship, family business, succession planning, cross-cultural management, team building, coaching, and the dynamics of corporate transformation and change. Manfred F. R. Kets de Vries is co-directing The Challenge of Leadership programme.
A clinical professor of leadership and organisational change, he held the Raoul de Vitry d'Avaucourt Chair of Leadership Development at INSEAD, France, Singapore and Abu Dhabi from September 1992 until March 2013. He is the Founder of INSEAD's Global Leadership Centre, program director of INSEAD's top management seminar, "The Challenge of Leadership: Creating Reflective Leaders" and scientific director of the program "Executive Master in Consulting and Coaching for Change", and has five times received INSEAD's distinguished teacher award. He has also held professorships at McGill University, the Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales, Montreal, and the Harvard Business School, and has lectured at management institutions around the world.
The Financial Times, Le Capital, Wirtschaftswoche, and The Economist have rated Manfred Kets de Vries both among the world's top fifty leading management thinkers and one of the most influential contributors to human resource management. He has also been given (2008) the Lifetime Achievement Award (the Leadership Legacy Project of the International Leadership Association), being viewed as one of the world’s six founding professionals in the development of leadership as a field and discipline.
He is the author, co-author, or editor of thirty-five books and has published over 350 scientific papers as chapters in books and as articles. His books and articles have been translated into thirty-one languages. He is a member of seventeen editorial boards. He has been elected a Fellow of the Academy of Management. In 2011 he was awarded the Doctor Honoris Causa title by the IEDC-Bled School in recognition of his contributions to leadership development and research. The American Psychological Association awarded him the Harry and Miriam Levinson Award (Organizational Consultation division) (in 2001) for his contributions to the field of consultation. He is a founding member of the International Society for the Psychoanalytic Study of Organizations (ISPSO) of which he became (in 2009) a Lifetime Distinguished Member. Kets de Vries is also the first non-American recipient of the International Leadership Award for “his contributions to the classroom and the board room” by the International Leadership Association (ILA). In 2010 he was honoured by the Dutch Psychoanalytic Institute in Holland where he was presented with the Freud Memorial Award, in acknowledgement of his exceptional work on the interface between psychoanalysis and organisations.
Kets de Vries is a consultant on organizational design/transformation and strategic human resource management to leading U.S., Canadian, European, African, and Asian companies. As an educator and consultant he has worked in more than forty countries.
The Dutch government has made him an Officer in the Order of Oranje Nassau. He was the first fly fisherman in Outer Mongolia and is a member of New York's Explorers Club. In his spare time he can be found in the rainforests or savannas of Central Africa, the Siberian taiga, the Pamir and Altai Mountains, Australia's Arnhem Land, or within the Arctic Circle.'
- BOOKS - The Hedgehog Effect: The Secrets of Building High Performance Teams - John Wiley and Sons
- BOOKS - Reflections on Groups and Organizations: On the Couch With Manfred Kets de Vries - John Wiley and Sons
- BOOKS - Reflections on Leadership and Career Development - On the Couch with Manfred Kets de Vries - John Wiley and Sons
- BOOKS - Reflections on Character and Leadership - John Wiley and Sons
- BOOKS - The Coaching Kaleidoscope: Insights from the Inside - Palgrave Macmillan
- BOOKS - Sex, Money, Happiness and Death: The Quest for Authenticity - Palgrave
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - The Many Colors of Success: What do Executives Want out of Life? - Organizational Dynamics
- WORKING PAPERS - Leadership Coaching and the Rescuer Syndrome: How to Manage both Sides of the Couch
- WORKING PAPERS - Developing Leaders and Leadership Development
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Creating Transformational Executive Education Programs - Academy of Management, Learning & Development
- WORKING PAPERS - INSEAD Global Leadership Centre - 360-degree Feedback Instruments: An Overview
- WORKING PAPERS - Reaching Stardom: How to Identify and Develop Top Performers