Phone: +33 1 60 72 48 09
Competitive Strategy, Multimarket Competition in Domestic and International Markets, Interorganisational Relationships, Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Strategic Management, Competitive Strategy, Industry and Competitive Analysis, Industry Restructuring
Energy, Oil and Gas, Telecommunication Services, Transport
Javier Gimeno is Professor of Strategy at INSEAD (Fontainebleau campus), in France, where he holds the Aon Dirk Verbeek Chair in International Risk and Strategic Management.
A Spanish national, he holds a PhD degree in strategic management from Purdue University. Since 2001, he has taught strategy and industry and competitive analysis at INSEAD at all levels – MBA, Executive MBA, Ph.D., and executive programmes for leading global companies. From 2009 to 2011, he also served as Dean of Executive MBA programmes at INSEAD. Javier served as Chair of the Strategy department at INSEAD, and as Academic Director of the INSEAD European Competitiveness Initiative, a broad initiative by INSEAD faculty to understand and improve business competitiveness in Europe.
Javier's research focuses on understanding competitive strategy decisions, and how these decisions lead to competitive interactions and performance consequences. He has done research and developed pedagogical materials in industries such as travel and transportation (airlines), mobile telecommunication services, energy, and computer equipment. His current research integrates a risk management perspective on the analysis of strategic opportunities.
Javier’s research has been published in the top academic journals in strategy and management, and has received numerous awards from leading academic and practitioner associations. For instance, his dissertation on multi-market competition in the US airline industry received the prize to the best doctoral dissertation in strategy in its year. He received several Best Paper Awards from the Academy of Management for his research on entrepreneurship, and the Blackrock/National Association of Corporate Directors Best Paper Award for research on strategy and corporate governance. He has taken editorial responsibilities in journals such as Organization Science and Strategy Science.
Javier has been a leader in several major professional associations. He was a member of the Board of Governors of the Academy of Management, an association of over 18,000 management academics worldwide. He chaired the Academy’s Business Policy and Strategy division - the largest organisation of strategy academics and practitioners, with over 5,000 members worldwide. Most recently, Javier has been very involved with the Strategic Management Society, a global association of strategy academics, practitioners and consultants. He was the Chairman of the Strategic Management Society International Conference in 2006, served on the Board of Directors from 2010-2015, and is currently the President-Elect of the Society.
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Language and Competition: Communication Vagueness, Interpretation Difficulty, and Market Entry - Academy of Management Journal
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Earnings Pressure and Long-Term Corporate Governance: Can Long-Term-Oriented Investors and Managers Reduce the Quarterly Earnings Obsession? - Organization Science
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Constrained Delegation: Limiting Subsidiaries’ Decision Rights and Resources in Firms That Compete across Multiple Industries - Administrative Science Quarterly
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Strategic Delegation: A Review, Theoretical Integration, and Research Agenda - Journal of Management
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Earnings Pressure and Competitive Behavior: Evidence from the U.S. Electricity Industry - Academy of Management Journal
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Ownership Form, Managerial Incentives and the Intensity of Rivalry - Academy of Management Journal
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Explaining the Clustering of International Expansion Moves: A Critical Test in the US Telecommunications Industry - Academy of Management Journal
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Competition Within and Between Networks: The Contingent Effect of Competitive Embeddedness on Alliance Formation - Academy of Management Journal
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Dynamics of Competitive Repositioning: A Multidimensional Approach
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Entrepreneurial Identity - Blackwell Publishing
- CASE STUDIES - Alcatel, Lucent…Nokia: On the Road from 3 to 1 - The Leadership Challenges of Strategic Change
- CASE STUDIES - Qantas' Jetstar: Launching and Growing a Low-Cost Airline Subsidiary
- CASE STUDIES - IMAX (A): The Introduction of Digital Media Re-Mastering Technology
- CASE STUDIES - IMAX (B): Ten Years with DMR
- CASE STUDIES - Nokia and the New Mobile Ecosystem (A): Competing in the Age of Internet Mobile Convergence
- CASE STUDIES - The Evolution of the Bottled Water Industry: Ready for the “Water Wars”?
- CASE STUDIES - Launching 3G Mobile Services in Finland: War or Peace?
- CASE STUDIES - Printer Wars - Dell and the Printer Business
- CASE STUDIES - Mobile Internet in Europe (A): i-mode and Vodafone Live! in 2003
- CASE STUDIES - Mobile Internet in Europe (B): i-mode and Vodafone Live! in 2006
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Playing Entrepreneurial Judo: How to Compete without a Resource Advantage - Wiley
- CASE STUDIES - The European Airline Industry on a Collision Course
- CASE STUDIES - European Airline Industry: Ryanair in 2003
- CASE STUDIES - European Airline Industry: Lufthansa in 2003