Phone: +33 1 60 72 40 31
Building an Innovative Organisation, A Process View of Value Innovation/Blue Ocean Strategy, New Forms of Organisation, Networked Organisations, Strategic Alliances, Trust-Based Partnerships, Role/Impact of Information Technology on Organisations and Markets, Comparison with Japanese Management, IT and Mobility-driven Value Innovation
Building an Innovative Organisation, Blue Ocean Strategy - A Process View, Value Innovation - A Process View, Strategy, Managing Networked Organisations, Managing Value-Adding Partnerships, Information Technology and Corporate Transformation, Understanding Japanese Business
Aerospace & Defence, Automobiles, Banking and Insurance, Chemicals, Electronic & Electrical Equipment, Household Goods & Textiles, Information Technology, Telecommunication Services
Ben M. Bensaou is a Professor of Technology Management and Professor of Asian Business and Comparative Management at INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France. He was a Visiting Associate Professor at Harvard Business School in 1998-1999, a Senior Fellow at the Wharton School of Management in 2007-2008, and a Visiting Scholar the Haas School of Business at the University of California Berkeley in 2013-2015.
He received his PhD in Management from MIT Sloan School of Management, Cambridge, US, and his MA in Management Science from Hitotsubashi University, Tokyo, Japan; his Diplôme d’Ingénieur (MSc) in Civil Engineering and DEA in Mechanical Engineering from respectively the Ecole Nationale des TPE, Lyon and the Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble, two Grandes Ecoles in France.
His research and teaching activities focus on: (1) how to create innovating capabilities and competencies as a way to build an innovating organisation and culture; (2) Blue Ocean Strategy and value innovation implementation, and roll out processes across the whole organisation; (3) how to build social capital within firms; (4) new forms of organisations, in particular networked corporations, strategic alliances, joint ventures, and value-adding partnerships; and (5) the impact of information technology on innovation. Professor Bensaou addresses these issues from an international comparative perspective, with a special focus on Japanese organisations. Professor Bensaou's research on buyer-supplier relations in the US and Japanese auto industries won him the Best Doctoral Dissertation Award in the field of information systems and a finalist nomination for the Free Press Award for outstanding dissertation research in the field of business policy and strategy. His case studies on innovation won the 2006, 2008 and 2009 ECCH Best Case Awards (with Kim & Mauborgne). His publications include papers in Academy of Management Journal, Management Science, Information Systems Research, Organization Science, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of International Business Studies, Harvard Business Review, Sloan Management Review, book chapters and conference proceedings. He has been a member of the Editorial Board of Information Systems Research, MIS Quarterly and MISQ Executive. He has been listed in the Who’s Who in the World since 1998.
He has been consulting for Asian, European and US corporations since 1993. At INSEAD, Professor Bensaou developed two new MBA courses: 'Managing Networked Organisations' and 'Understanding Japanese Business.' He also teaches courses on Competitive Strategy, Innovation, Blue Ocean Strategy and Value Innovation, Information Technology and Comparative Management (in English and French). He was a Visiting Professor at Aoyama Gakuin University, Tokyo, where he taught his 'Information Technology and Corporate Transformation' course. He has also been teaching (in Japanese) in Executive Education programmes at Keio Business School, Tokyo, Japan.
Professor Bensaou grew up in France. He also lived and was educated in Japan. He and his wife Masako currently live in Fontainebleau. Their son Sophian works in San Francisco, Alexis in Paris, and Lennon studies in Cambridge, US.
- Journal Articles - Trust Between International Joint Venture Partners: Effects of Home Countries - Journal of International Business Studies
- Journal Articles - Players and Purists: Networking Strategies and Agency of Service Professionals - Organization Science
- Journal Articles - Buyer-Supplier Relations in Industrial Markets: When Do Buyers Enter the Trap of Making Idiosyncratic Investments - Organization Science
- Journal Articles - Testing Metric Equivalence in Cross-National Strategy Research: An Empirical Test across U.S. and Japan - Strategic Management Journal
- Journal Articles - Portfolio of Buyer-Supplier Relationships - MIT Sloan Management Review
- Journal Articles - The Right Mind-Set for Managing Information Technology - Harvard Business Review
- Journal Articles - Interorganizational Cooperation: The Role of Information Technology - An Empirical Comparison of US and Japanese Supplier Relations - Information Systems Research
- Journal Articles - Configurations and Inter-Organisational Relationships: A Comparison between US and Japanese Automakers - Management Science