School’s thought leadership earns it majority of top 10 cases over past four decades: INSEAD prominently represented with six case studies in the top 10
INSEAD, the leading international business school, has earned new distinction for the world-class caliber of its exemplary case-studio portfolio. According to the Case Centre, the top global organisation dedicated to promoting the case method in management education, INSEAD boasts six of the 10 best-selling cases distributed over the past 40 years and overall, INSEAD cases represented 14 of the Case Centre’s most popular knowledge products distributed. The Case Centre offers the best ranking of Business Schools in terms of case writing as it is based on sales. The Case Centre is the only distributor which sells cases coming from all major case writing business schools.
INSEAD cases ranked among the top 10 all-time best include:
- Swatch, written in 1987 by Christian Pinson, Emeritus Professor of Marketing at INSEAD and Helen Chase Kimball, former Research Associate at INSEAD (No.2);
- Virgin Atlantic Airways: Ten years after, written in 1995 by Jean-Claude Larréché, the Alfred H. Heineken Chaired Professor at INSEAD and Pantéa Denoyelle, former Research Associate at INSEAD (No. 3)
- Zantac, written by Reinhard Angelmar, Emeritus Professor of Marketing and The Salmon and Rameau Fellow of Healthcare Management, Emeritus, at INSEAD and Christian Pinson, Emeritus Professor of Marketing at INSEAD (No.4)
- Anderson Consulting, Entering the Business of Business integration, written by the late Sumantra Ghoshal, who was Associate Professor of Strategy and Management and Mary Ackenhusen, Research Associate (Number 5)
- Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS), written in 1988 by the late Sumantra Ghoshal and three MBA candidates Ronald Berger Lefèbure, Johnny Jorgensen and David Staniforth (No. 6)
- Unilever in Brazil(A), written by INSEAD Pierre Chandon, the L’Oréal Chaired Professor of Marketing, Innovation and Creativity at INSEAD, and Pedro Pacheco Guimaraes, MBA alumnus (No. 8).
To celebrate its 40th anniversary, Case Centre compiled a list of their top 40 best-selling cases worldwide. The figures include sales since The Case Centre was first set up in 1973. INSEAD published 79 case studies in 2012-2013 and 150 working papers and organised 142 research seminars. World-class faculty recognised for their research and effectiveness in the classroom are crucial to INSEAD’s reputation for providing a top quality international business education. Built on a solid research foundation, the high calibre of INSEAD cases consistently achieves international recognition winning many case awards.
Regarding INSEAD’s exceptional case performance, Dean of Faculty, Timothy Van Zandt said: ‘To earn this level of recognition in the prestigious Case Centre ranking is another indication that INSEAD thought leadership has always been – and continues to be – both rigorous and relevant for global business practitioners’.
Mirroring INSEAD’s mission as ‘the business school for the world’, the school’s case collection has garnered praise for its remarkable intellectual richness and global diversity, providing robust insights that blend both theory and practice from many different countries and cultures. INSEAD cases not only stimulate class discussion by presenting crucial management issues, but they also challenge students to learn how to make better strategic decisions and become stronger leaders. The cases offer insight into the successes and failures that characterise every firm and venture, distilling wisdom that can be practically applied in the business world. INSEAD faculty and Research staff produce up to 100 new cases annually, using their privileged access to industry executives, entrepreneurs and experts to continually enrich the school’s academic portfolio.
This year, the Case Centre celebrates 40 years as the world’s only not-for-profit organisation dedicated to supporting and promoting the case method in business education. Since 1973, when it began as the Case Clearing House of Great Britain and Ireland, the Case Centre has developed into an influential, world-leading organisation firmly established at the heart of the international case method community.
Similarly, INSEAD's international reputation as "The Business School for the World" is anchored in the relevance and rigour of its research, teaching and learning materials. The experience and talents of the school’s faculty combine to create unparalleled research and teaching excellence that provide INSEAD students with exceptional and unique educational programmes built on knowledge that is extending the frontiers of business practice and theory.
INSEAD’s prolific research output identifies current trends in today’s demanding business world and explores principles that guide sustainable value creation.
About INSEAD research
More information about the professors and their work can be found on INSEAD KNOWLEDGE
About Case Centre - Educational importance
Our commitment to supporting the case method, and our belief in its outstanding educational importance, is reflected in the wide range of services we now provide to educators, trainers and students across the globe. These include case publication and distribution, case method training and scholarships, and hotly contested competitions and awards for case writing and teaching. We are proud to be associated with all the world’s leading business schools that entrust us with their case collections and continue to value and support our work.