Phone: +33 1 60 72 48 66
Transition Economies, European Integration, Political Economy
European/Global Politics, Markets and Business
Jonathan Story is an Emeritus Professor of International Political Economy and the Shell Fellow in Economic Transformation, Emeritus at INSEAD. He held the Marusi Chair of Business at the Lally School, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and was a Distinguished Visiting Professor at the Fordham School of Business. He chaired the AXA Foundation Search Committee for Country Risk: Early Warning. Prior to joining INSEAD in 1974, he worked in Brussels and Washington and obtained his PhD at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies. He maintains his blog on politics, markets, and business, and has recently written on global energy futures, European Union, and global politics and markets.
Professor Story is the author of several books including China UnCovered: What you need to know to do business in China (FT/ Pearson’s, 2010), China: The Race to Market (FT/Pearsons, 2003), The Frontiers of Fortune (Pitman’s, 1999). His book The Political Economy of Financial Integration in Europe: The Battle of the Systems (MIT Press, 1998), co-authored with Ingo Walter of the New York University, focuses on monetary union and financial markets in the European Union. The main theme linking this work was the analysis of dynamic change in Europe, the world, and China, and what were the implications for international business. His books have been translated into French, Italian, German, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, and Arabic languages. He is a co-author of the Oxford Handbook on Business and Government (2010) and has contributed numerous chapters in books and articles in professional journals. He is a regular contributor to newspapers and has been a four-time winner of the Best Case of the Year Award of the European Case Clearing House. His latest cases detail hotel investments in Egypt and Argentina, as well as a women’s garment manufacturer in Sri Lanka and a Chinese auto parts producer.
At INSEAD, Professor Story has taught European and world politics, markets, and business in the MBA and PhD programmes. For three decades, he has taught in the Advanced Management Programme as well as in other open enrolment and customised Executive Education programmes. Jonathan Story works with governments, international organisations, and multinational corporations. He is a Doctor Honoris Causa, IEDC, Slovenia.
He is married with four children, and now, eleven grandchildren. Besides English, he is fluent in French, German, Spanish, Italian, and reads Portuguese. His hobby is singing.
- Journal Articles - China and Global Energy Markets - Orbis
- Case Studies - The Takeover of Arcelor by Mittal Steel (B): Change in a Mature Global Industry
- Case Studies - The Takeover of Arcelor by Mittal Steel (A): Change in a Mature Global Industry
- Case Studies - How Do Ideas Transform Institutions?: The Reform of the French Pension System
- Case Studies - MAS Holdings: Strategic Corporate Social Responsibility in the Apparel Industry
- Book Chapters - The Origins, Launching and Consequences of '1992' and the Euro: The Politics of Economic and Monetary Integration in Europe - Routledge
- Journal Articles - China Revolutionizes Energy Markets - Far Eastern Economic Review
- Book Chapters - The Emerging World Financial Order and Different Forms of Capitalism - Oxford University Press