Phone: +65 6799 5354
CEOs and Top Management Teams, CEO Succession, Executive Compensation, Corporate Governance and Board of Directors, Organisational Renewal and Growth
Strategy Implementation and Organisational Change, Corporate Strategy and Corporate Governance
Guoli Chen is an Associate Professor of Strategy at INSEAD. He received his PhD in Strategic Management from the Pennsylvania State University. He teaches Strategy, Value Innovation, Incentives Design, and Corporate Governance courses to the MBA, PhD, and Executive Education programme participants.
Guoli's research focuses on the influence of CEOs, top executives, and boards of directors on firms' strategic choices and organisational outcomes, as well as the interaction and dynamics in the top management team and CEO-board relationships. He is interested in organisational growth, renewal, and corporate development activities, such as IPOs, M&As, innovation, globalisation. He has published in several top academic journals, such as Administrative Science Quarterly, Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, Journal of Business Venturing, Leadership Quarterly, and Strategic Organization. His papers have received awards at the Academy of Management Conference and Strategic Management Society Conference. He was a representative-at-large of the Corporate Strategy and Corporate Governance interest group of the Strategic Management Society and serves on the editorial board of the Academy of Management Journal.
Before starting his academic career, Guoli worked as an investment banker at Daiwa Securities SMBC. He provided financial consulting in the areas of IPOs, fundraising, and company restructuring.
- Journal Articles - CEO Elitist Association: Toward a New Understanding of an Executive Behavioral Pattern - Leadership Quarterly
- Journal Articles - CEO Narcissism and the Impact of Prior Board Experience on Corporate Strategy - Administrative Science Quarterly
- Journal Articles - CEO Replacement in Turnaround Situations: Executive (Mis)fit and Its Performance Implications - Organization Science
- Book Chapters - Can you Believe it? Managerial Discretion and Financial Analysts’ Responses to Management Earnings Forecasts - Emerald Publishing Ltd.
- Journal Articles - Executive Accountability Around the World: Sources of Cross-national Variation in Firm Performance–CEO Dismissal Sensitivity - Strategic Organization
- Journal Articles - Expatriate Utilization and Foreign Direct Investment Performance: The Mediating Role of Knowledge Transfer - Journal of Management
- Journal Articles - Female Board Representation and Corporate Acquisition Intensity - Strategic Management Journal
- Journal Articles - Firm-specific Knowledge Assets and Employment Arrangements: Evidence from CEO Compensation Design and CEO Dismissal - Strategic Management Journal
- Journal Articles - How CEO Hubris Affects Corporate Social (Ir)responsibility - Strategic Management Journal
- Working Papers - How CEO and CFO Regulatory Focus Interact to Shape the Firm’s Corporate Strategy
- Journal Articles - How much prestige is enough? Assessing the value of multiple types of high-status affiliates for young firms - Journal of Business Venturing
- Journal Articles - Modernizing without Westernizing: Social Structure and Economic Action in the Indian Financial Sector - Academy of Management Journal
- Journal Articles - Puttin’ on the Ritz: Pre-IPO Enlistment of Prestigious Affiliates as Deadline-Induced Remediation - Academy of Management Journal
- Journal Articles - When the Role Fits: How Firm Status Differentials Affect Corporate Takeovers - Strategic Management Journal
- Case Studies - Sunac's Acquisition of Greentown in the Chinese Real Estate Market (C)
- Case Studies - Sunac's Acquisition of Greentown in the Chinese Real Estate Market (B)
- Case Studies - Sunac's Acquisition of Greentown in the Chinese Real Estate Market (A)
- Case Studies - Uber vs. Didi: The Race for China's Ride-hailing Market
- Journal Articles - Initial Compensation of New CEOs Hired in Turnaround Situations - Strategic Management Journal
- Journal Articles - Making the Same Mistake all Over Again: CEO Overconfidence and Corporate Resistance to Corrective Feedback - Strategic Management Journal
- Journal Articles - Narcissism, Director Selection, And Risk-Taking Spending - Strategic Management Journal
- Journal Articles - Passing Probation: Earnings Management by Interim CEOs and Its Effect on Their Promotion Prospects - Academy of Management Journal
- Working Papers - CEO Narcissism and the Impact of Interlocks on Corporate Strategy
- Working Papers - Modernizing without Westernizing: Social Structure and Economic Action in the Indian Financial Sector
- Working Papers - Executive Accountability around the World: The Sources of Cross-national Variation in Firm Performance-CEO Dismissal Sensitivity
- Working Papers - When the Role Fits: How Firm Status Differentials Affect Corporate Takeovers
- Working Papers - CEO Replacement in Turnaround Situations: Executive (Mis)fit and its Performance Implications