Phone: +33 1 60 72 48 50
Leadership Development, Identity Dynamics, Systems Psychodynamics, Personal and Professional Learning & Development
Leadership, Team Dynamics, Personal and Professional Development and Change, Coaching and Group Facilitation Skills
Gianpiero Petriglieri (@gpetriglieri) is Associate Professor of Organisational Behaviour at INSEAD. He directs the Management Acceleration Programme, the school’s flagship executive programme for emerging leaders, and the INSEAD initiative for Learning Innovation and Teaching Excellence.
Gianpiero’s interests bridge the domains of leadership, identity, and learning. His work focuses on how and where people become a mindful, effective and responsible leaders. He is particularly concerned with the development of leadership in the age of "nomadic professionalism," in which authenticity and mobility have replaced loyalty and advancement as hallmarks of virtue and success.
In this context, he contends, a narrow focus on the acquisition of new knowledge and skills is inadequate to develop competent and trustworthy leaders. His research casts a light on the psychological, social, and cultural functions of leadership development. His innovative teaching methods provide an example of how to perform those functions purposefully for the benefit of individuals, organizations and society at large.
Gianpiero’ research has appeared, or is forthcoming, in Administrative Science Quarterly, Academy of Learning & Education, and Organization Studies. His work on the personal foundations of leaders’ development received the GMAC Award for the most significant contribution to graduate management education and the Outstanding Article Award in the Academy of Management Learning & Education. Gianpiero also writes regularly for the Harvard Business Review, where his essays have been included among the "ideas that shaped management" for four of the past five years. His work has been featured in a range of media including the BBC, Financial Times, The Economist, and Businessweek. He has chaired the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council on new models of leadership and was shortlisted for the “Leadership” award by Thinkers50, the ranking of the most influential management thinkers in the world.
Building on his research, Gianpiero has contributed to refining a unique approach to experiential leadership development that aims to deepen and accelerate the development of individual leaders as well as to broaden and strengthen leadership communities within and across organisations. Alongside the Management Acceleration Programme, he directs customized leadership development programmes for multinationals in a variety of industries. He also speaks widely on how to develop and exercise leadership in fast-changing, uncertain, and diverse workplaces.
Gianpiero taught the "Leading People and Groups" core course in the INSEAD MBA for five years, receiving the students' Outstanding Teacher Award. He currently teaches the "Practical Wisdom in Business" core course. He has received numerous Deans' Commendations for Teaching Excellence in both MBA and Executive Education. He has held Visiting Professor positions at the Harvard Business School, and at Copenhagen Business School. Prior to joining INSEAD, he contributed regularly to executive education programs and to the MBA at IMD in Switzerland.
Gianpiero holds a Medical Doctorate and a specialization in Psychiatry from the University of Catania Medical School, Italy, and a diploma in Advanced Organizational Consultation from the Tavistock Institute of Human Relations in London. He has practiced as a psychotherapist and served on the staff of group relations conferences in Europe and the United States.
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Can Business Schools Humanize Leadership? - Academy of Management Learning and Education
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Book Review Disrupt or be Disrupted: A Blueprint for Change in Management Education - Academy of Management Learning and Education
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Leadership and Identity: An Examination of Three Theories and New Research Directions - Oxford University Press
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - The Unwanted Self: Projective Identification in Leaders' Identity Work - Organization Studies
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Identity Workspaces for Leadership Development - Sage
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Up Close and Personal: Building Foundations for Leaders' Development through the Personalization of Management Learning - Academy of Management Learning and Education
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Identity Workspaces: The Case of Business Schools - Academy of Management Learning and Education
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Stuck in a Moment: A Developmental Perspective on Impasses - Transactional Analysis Journal
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Learning for Leadership: The 'Engineering' and 'Clinical' Approaches - FT Prentice Hall
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Transcending Polarization: Beyond Binary Thinking - Transactional Analysis Journal
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Beyond "Fun and Games": Outdoor Activities for Meaningful Leadership Development - FT Prentice Hall
- BOOK CHAPTERS - The Merchandising of Leadership - Wiley
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - The Invisible Revealed: Collusion as an Entry to the Group Unconscious - Transactional Analysis Journal