'Fares teaches in the MBA, EMBA and various executive education programs, Focus of his teaching is on Competitive Strategy, Industry Evolution and Blue Ocean Strategy in various industry segments including: financial services, retailing and merchandising, consumer products and telecommunications
Fares Boulos is Affiliated Professor of Practice in Strategy at INSEAD. In 2007-2008, Fares held the Kermit O. Hanson Visiting Professor appointment at the Michael G. Foster School of Business at the University of Washington.
Fares has taught the Core Strategy course in the MBA and GEMBA programs as well as the Blue Ocean Strategy GEMBA/TIEMBA elective. Fares also directs/teaches in various other programs, including: the INSEAD Blue Ocean Strategy open enrolment program, the PwC Understanding the Client’s Strategic Agenda program, and a multitude of custom programs for companies in The Americas, Europe, Australia and the Asia Pacific region in a variety of industries. Fares co-directs the the INSEAD Blue Ocean Strategy programme.
Fares was the co-academic director of the Directors’ Education Program (DEP) in Vancouver for seven years; DEP is the premier corporate governance program in Canada developed by the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management in partnership with the Institute of Corporate Directors and offered across Canada by Rotman and other leading schools of business.
In 2009, Fares received the Dean’s Commendation for Excellence in MBA Teaching for his teaching of the core Strategy course at INSEAD and was nominated by his MBA students for the Core Best Professor award. In 2005 he taught the 1st year MBA core Competitive Strategy course at the University of Washington’s Foster School of Business, where he won the Professor of the Quarter award for best teaching, an award he won again in the spring 2008 quarter for his teaching of the Global Strategic Management course.
Fares served on the Dean’s Advisory Board at Rotman from 2003-2013. He is a member of the Advisory Board of NovoBind, a Vancouver-based Ag-Technology company and is a Senior Advisor on Vonzeo Capital, a Search Fund company that provides guidance, support, mentorship, insights and capital to MBAs aspiring to acquire and grow companies around the world.
Prior to joining INSEAD, Fares held several senior positions in the investment industry in Canada, including Director of Research for Wood Gundy, now part of CIBC, and Portfolio Manager for Jarislowsky Fraser, one of Canada’s biggest independent investment counselling firm. Before entering the investment world, Fares was a senior consultant with The Canada Consulting Group, a strategy-consulting firm that has since merged with The Boston Consulting Group.
Fares holds an MBA and B.Sc. from the University of Toronto and a Diploma in Writing for Film, Television & New Media from the Vancouver Film School.
- Case Studies - Justin Trudeau Wins 2015 Canada Election: Creating a Blue Ocean in Politics
- Case Studies - Justin Trudeau Wins 2015 Canada Election: A Blue Ocean Strategy in Politics - Background note
- Case Studies - Lloyds TSB Group (A): Business Portfolio Restructuring and Development
- Case Studies - Lloyds TSB Group (B): The Road to Sustained Growth?
- Case Studies - Lloyds TSB Group (C): The HBOS Acquisition
- Journal Articles - Cadbury Schweppes Case Series - Journal of Strategic Management Education
- Case Studies - Cadbury Schweppes (A): The Strategic Dilemma of Trebor Bassett
- Case Studies - Cadbury Schweppes (B): Managing for Value
- Journal Articles - Managing for Value: It's Not Just About the Numbers - Harvard Business Review
- Case Studies - The Dow Chemical Company (A) - Value Based Management and the Transformation of Dow Chemical
- Working Papers - Are You (Really) Managing for Value