- LoginAccess your ApplicationOr learn more about our programmes and applyAccess MyINSEAD
Our Mission and Research Agenda
Co-Director, the INSEAD
Blue Ocean Strategy Institute
The INSEAD Blue Ocean Strategy Institute is dedicated to extending the research on Blue Ocean Shift, Blue Ocean Strategy, and Blue Ocean Leadership by Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne and disseminating it to professors, researchers and practitioners around the globe. Specifically the Institute aims:
- To make major theoretical and scientific contributions to the fields of strategy and management by conducting academic and managerial research on Blue Ocean Shift, Blue Ocean Strategy, and Blue Ocean Leadership.
- To contribute to the practice and performance of companies, governments and non-profit organisations through practical application of these research outputs.
The INSEAD Blue Ocean Strategy Institute focuses on the following research streams:
Co-Director, the INSEAD
Blue Ocean Strategy Institute
- Corporate sector application and research, including understanding the organisational culture, systems, processes, and leadership behaviours that support the creation and execution of Blue Ocean Strategy, and making a Blue Ocean Shift.
- Public sector application and research, including the application of Blue Ocean Shift, Blue Ocean Strategy, and Blue Ocean Leadership to governments and non-profits.
- Social sector application and research, including such topics as how Blue Ocean Strategy can be applied in the developing world to mitigate poverty and improve education and health.
- Academic research on the reconstructionist theory of Blue Ocean Shift | Strategy | Leadership.
- The creation of next generation pedagogical materials that apply the theory of Blue Ocean Shift | Strategy | Leadership to the classroom to create a new standard of pedagogical and learning excellence.
In the Spotlight
With three decades of research, the #1 global bestselling authors of Blue Ocean Strategy, W. Chan Kim and Renée Mauborgne, reveal another way to innovate and grow. Out May 2, 2023.
Honored for Global Impact of their Research
Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne were chosen as two of the four leading thinkers in the 100 years of Harvard Business Review’s publication for the global impact of their body of research and ideas.
Thinkers50 Top Ten Classic Books On Management
Chan Kim and Renée Mauborgne’s Blue Ocean Strategy was selected by Thinkers50, the global ranking of management thinkers, as one of the top 10 classic books on management (2022).
Meta: Facebook's Pivot to the Metaverse. A Dystopia or Blue Ocean Utopia?
This case challenges students to explore the social, economic, and environmental implications of Meta’s proposed metaverse along with potential business models.
Winners of the "Theory-to-Practice Strategy Award"
Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne are the Winners of the 2021 Vienna Strategy Summit “Theory-to-Practice Strategy Award" by Vienna University of Economics and Business and the Vienna Strategy Forum.
Fintech: Innovation without Disruption: How Prodigy Finance Achieved Both High Growth and Social Good.
This case won the 2020 EFMD Best Case in Finance and Banking by KIM, Chan, MAUBORGNE, Renee, MI, Ji. Check it out!
Ping An Good Doctor
An internet healthcare company, created a nondisruptive solution for China’s healthcare industry, allowing medical resources to address market demand more effectively while lowering social costs.
Value Innovation vs Technology Innovation
Explore the difference between technology innovation and value innovation. This fun classroom exercise teaches how value innovation links innovation to a leap and buyer value and is usually more likely to lead to success.
The Marvel Way: Restoring a Blue Ocean
This case won the best Strategy and General Management Category at the 2020 Case Centre Awards by KIM, Chan, MAUBORGNE, Renee, OLENICK, Michael. Check it out!
How to Achieve Resilient Growth Thoughout the Business Cycle
In this Harvard Business Review article, Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne adress the question how to build growth and resilience, irrespective of the stage of the business cycle. To find out, read more.
The case describes how the founder, Katrina Lake, the youngest woman CEO to ever lead a US initial public offering, combined artificial intelligence and human interaction to create a differentiated and low-cost offering that women have been going crazy for.
Top Management Gurus
Chan Kim & Renee Mauborgne named World’s #3 Top Management Thinkers at Thinkers50, the definitive global ranking of the world's most influential business thinkers. Read More
Chan Kim & Renee Mauborgne were ranked the world's most influential management thinkers for the global impact and theoretical contribution of their ideas on Blue Ocean Strategy and Blue Ocean Shift.
The case describes how three INSEAD alumni founded a fintech company and created a new nondisruptive market of international student loans by solving a long unaddressed problem in the finance industry.
An Innovation that Changed the Life of Women in India
A first period often meant the end of school for rural Indian girls without access to menstrual hygiene pads. This case explores a nondisruptive innovation to keep girls in school and create 5300 women-owned businesses.
Top 10 Bestselling Case Authors
In 2020-2021, Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne ranked #4 in The Global Top 10 Bestselling Case Authors out of over 8000 Business Professors. This is their fifth consecutive year in the top 10 of The Case Centre's list of bestselling case authors.
Rethinking Innovation and Growth
In the cover story for MIT Sloan Management Review "Nondisruptive Creation..." Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne argue that there's another path to growth. Read the article
Indian Premier League
In the latest case, learn the strategic logic behind the creation of cricketainment that transformed the long-winded gentlemen’s cricket game into a thrilling three-hour sports drama, without displacing or disrupting existing domestic leagues.
A Blue Ocean Shift from Insolvency to Excellence in Higher Education.
After a socialist uprising faculty fled, students quit, and the President of this Bolivian business school retired. Find out how the new President made a Blue Ocean Shift to turn it around.
Blue Ocean Shift | Strategy
The Blue Ocean Casebook introduces the 34 cases developed by the INSEAD Blue Ocean Strategy Institute.
Click here to download the casebook.