Economic Sociology, Organisations, Social Capital, Inequality, Social Networks
Organisational Theory, Power and Politics
Kaisa Snellman is an Assistant Professor of Organisational Behaviour at INSEAD. She teaches courses in organisational behaviour and organisational theory.
Kaisa's research focuses on inequality in organisations and labour markets and the effects of rising inequality on social mobility. Her current work explores the impact of increasing social and economic inequality on social connectedness, educational attainment, and public health among American youth. In other on-going projects, she examines discrimincation and gender inequalities in science and in professional labour markets.
She has previously examined the changing role of knowledge production in the economy and the “Americanisation” of corporate governance practices in Europe. Her research on the diffusion of the shareholder model in Finland received the Louis R. Pondy Best Dissertation Award from the Organization and Management Theory Division of the Academy of Management in 2012. She was also a finalist for the William H. Newman Award from the Academy of Management.
Kaisa's research has been featured in a variety of news outlets, such as the Atlantic, Businessweek, Chicago Tribune, The Economist, Forbes, Los Angeles Times, and The New York Times.
Kaisa earned PhD and MA degrees in Sociology from Stanford University, and an MSc degree in Economics from Swedish School of Economics in Helsinki, Finland. Prior to joining INSEAD, Kaisa was a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Journal Articles - The Engagement Gap: Social Mobility and Extracurricular Participation among American Youth - The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science
- Journal Articles - Reply to Gao et al: Racial Composition does not Explain Increasing Class Gaps in Obesity - Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America (PNAS)
- Journal Articles - Increasing Socioeconomic Disparities in Adolescent Obesity - Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America (PNAS)
- Journal Articles - Disentangling Effort and Performance: A Renewed Look at Gender Differences in Commercializing Medical School Research - Journal of Technology Transfer
- Book Chapters - Kansainväliset sijoittajat ja suomalaisen hallintomallin amerikkalaistuminen [Foreign Ownership and the Americanization of the Finnish Corporate Governance Practices]
- Journal Articles - The Knowledge Economy - Annual Review of Sociology
- Journal Articles - Customer Complaining Behaviour in Technology-based Service Encounters - International Journal of Service Industry Management