The International Directors Programme consists of three modules – board effectiveness and dynamics; board decision-making and oversight; and director effectiveness and development — which represent the knowledge base that trained directors are expected to master and which form the basis of effective board membership.
Within each module, the programme will focus on three fundamental questions:
- What do directors need to know in order to set the direction of the company?
- What are the proper boundaries within which the company should operate?
- How best can directors exercise their responsibilities to get things done in the boardroom?
Board fundamentals: responsibility, effectiveness, decision making,
- Fundamentals of director and board effectiveness
- Fiduciary duty and shareholder supremacy
- The main governance challenges
- Effective decision making in the board room
- The Strategy imperative
- Value Creation at board level
Board dynamics, efficiency and the role of committees
- CEO-Board dynamics and conflicts
- The Director as political actor & the question of power
- Fair Process Leadership – a model for the board
- CEO selection, oversight, evaluation, and succession
- CEO Remuneration
- Financial statements and red flags in reporting
Developing directors and their boards
- Boards and Organisations in Crisis
- Fraud as a consequence of poor governance
- The challenge and opportunity of board diversity
- Putting it all together through a board simulation
- 360 evaluation of director strengths and development opportunities
- Group coaching techniques for director improvement
- Reflecting on roles and commitments
Learning Tailored to Directors
The International Directors Programme involves role-play, simulations and exchanges with other participants. Read on to discover the experience of Johanes Luef (IDP-C) - a past participant of the programme - during the board process simulation as he shares his insights and discusses how it has changed his paradigm of a board’s crucial role and duties in organisations, especially that of the chairman and independent directors.
Johannes Luef (IDP-C)
Past participant, International directors programme
Certified Independent Non-Executive Director
"As part of the INSEAD programme, Mr Luef had to go through a board process simulation, during which he was given the role of chairman, of a disguised real company, where he had to lead a group of his peers in a board room discussion to decide on a merger. “I was quite nervous and at the end of the meeting was convinced that I’d actually flopped as chairman. But my fellow students, all talented and experienced directors from around the world, conveyed that it was a great meeting because they were able to speak their minds freely and we had lots of diverse discussions" [..]"