The International Directors Programme consists of three modules – board effectiveness and dynamics; board decision-making and oversight; and director effectiveness and development — which represent the knowledge base that trained directors are expected to master and which form the basis of effective board membership.
Within each module, the programme will focus on three fundamental questions:
- What do directors need to know in order to set the direction of the company?
- What are the proper boundaries within which the company should operate?
- How best can directors exercise their responsibilities to get things done in the boardroom?
Board fundamentals: responsibility, effectiveness, decision making,
- Fundamentals of director and board effectiveness
- Fiduciary duty and shareholder supremacy
- The main governance challenges
- Effective decision making in the board room
- The Strategy imperative
- Value Creation at board level
Board dynamics, efficiency and the role of committees
- CEO-Board dynamics and conflicts
- The Director as political actor & the question of power
- Fair Process Leadership – a model for the board
- CEO selection, oversight, evaluation, and succession
- CEO Remuneration
- Financial statements and red flags in reporting
Developing directors and their boards
- Boards and Organisations in Crisis
- Fraud as a consequence of poor governance
- The challenge and opportunity of board diversity
- Putting it all together through a board simulation
- 360 evaluation of director strengths and development opportunities
- Group coaching techniques for director improvement
- Reflecting on roles and commitments