INSEAD Groupe Galeries Lafayette Endowed Scholarship for Women
Groupe Galeries Lafayette Endowed Scholarship
With more than a century of unrivaled experience in France, Groupe Galeries Lafayette operates in three market segments: department stores with its retail chains Galeries Lafayette/Nouvelles Galeries and BHV, the 'citymarche' supermarket niche with Monoprix, and financial services with LaSer. Currently the Group employs 40,000 people and generates around 5 billion euros in sales. The group's more recent international expansion brings a strong French flair to its several operations in other European countries, the Middle East and Asia. It remains a family-owned enterprise and holds by the long-term values of this strong tradition balanced with modernity. Both Philippe Houze, Chairman of the Executive Board, and his son, Nicolas Houze, are INSEAD alumni.
The INSEAD Groupe Galeries Lafayette Endowed Scholarship targets women participants at INSEAD who embrace the group's values of commitment to serving customers, regardless of their social background and ethnic origin. Experience and/or an understanding of this sector of the the retail industry, that delivers fashion and quality at affordable prices, will be appreciated.
Applications for this scholarship are opened for Rounds 1 and 2. All applications will be reviewed right after the deadline.
Women candidates who have been admitted to the INSEAD MBA programme who identify with the goals and ambitions of Groupe Galeries Lafayette. Preference will be given to women from regions where the Group is or will be present i.e. Western Europe, Middle East and Asia.
1) (a) Analyse and discuss the requirements for a company such as Groupe Galeries Lafayette to succeed in your country today (b) describe how you envisage contributing to the future development of the retail sector after graduation and (c) why you should be selected for this award (350 words)
2) Provide a concise but accurate description of your financial circumstances as well as a cash flow forecast for the year at INSEAD (details of income set against expenditures) (150-200 words)
3) Explain why a women's scholarship at INSEAD would be important to you and outline any factors that you feel would distinguish you from other candidates. (300 words)
4) Please answer the following questions: Women are still not equally represented in the business world. What can be done about this? What have you contributed to date to address this issue, and what do you expect to contribute in the future? (300 words for all the questions)
5) Only if you would like to be considered for the Forte Fellowship: please explain why you should be the Forte Fellow in your Class (300 words). If you do not want to be considered please state not applicable.
6) What amount of the award do you consider appropriate? Provide a concise but accurate description of your financial circumstances as well as a cash flow forecast for the year at INSEAD (details of income set against expenditures) ( 150-200 words)