Pre-Doctoral Research Associate in Finance at INSEAD
Location: Asia Campus, Europe Campus
Contract: Temporary - Full Time
Contact: Renato Botti at email@example.com
Posted on: 09 July 2019
We are looking for a full-time Pre-Doctoral Research Associate on INSEAD campus in France or in Singapore. The work environment is highly vibrant and intellectually engaging. The candidate will work closely with world-class scholars at INSEAD. The candidate will also have an opportunity to interact with the pre-doc candidates/RAs from other areas, attend a number of workshops/seminars (on audit basis).
This position is ideal for recent university or Master’s graduates looking to develop their research skills, with the view of applying to a PhD program. It will provide the candidate with great preparation for PhD programme entry by training the applicant in doing research, giving him/her access also to other areas projects and assignments across our faculties. Our recent researchers have been admitted to PhDs at Kellogg School of Management, INSEAD, Toulouse School of Economics, Stockholm School of Economics, among others.
Our perfect candidate is excellent at managing data and in particular using software packages such as Matlab, Python, R, SAS, and Stata. Ideally, someone would also know how to program, solve and simulate economic models and have experience working in social sciences research projects.
The Research Associate will work with and assist professors in the Finance Area and more broadly INSEAD Research Department, to successfully initiate and conduct research projects. Specifically, the work tasks may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist with quantitative research projects on the functioning of capital markets and corporate governance.
- Excellent academic record.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently.
- Brainstorm about potential research questions.
- Extract data from different databases or company documents for analysis.
- Data management and programming with software packages such as Matlab, Stata, R, SAS and Phyton.
- Programming, solving, simulating economic models using software such as Matlab, Mathematica, Phyton, and/ or Dynare ++.
- Perform statistical data analysis including running regressions.
- Assist with interpretation, write up and dissemination of findings through the preparation of journal articles and presentations.
- Regularly update and communicate with Faculty and Research Departement about ongoing projects.
Experience with these tasks is preferred but not required. The successful candidate must have an open mind and an eagerness to learn. Training for many tasks will be provided, but the RA will also need to learn new skills independently.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Computer science, or Business science are preferred.
- Excellent academic record and work ethic required.
- Clear ambition to pursue a PhD in the future.
- Excellent programming skills (ability to program, solve and simulate economic models is a plus) with software packages such as Matlab, Mathematica, Phyton, R, SAS, and/or Stata.
- Previous research experience and knowledge of econometrics is a strong plus.
- Keen interest in empirical research in business or economics.
- Fluency in written and oral English.
We offer a full-time position for one year, with a possibility of renewal after evaluation at the end of the year.
To apply, please submit a CV and a cover letter describing your research experience, motivation and competencies. Please also add a writing sample (empirical research paper preferred) and your academic grade transcript. You should also provide the names and contact details of two potential references. Send all your material to firstname.lastname@example.org We will review applications as they arrive and until the position is filled. Please mention the specific job title “Pre-doctoral research associate” in your email. We will review applications as they arrive and until the position is filled.
PROTECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
The personal data (CV, motivation letter, etc.) you communicate to INSEAD will be registered and stored in our database. They will be treated as confidential information and we will not communicate them to third parties under any condition. We will keep your personal data for a period of 1 year in order to be reviewed in case a new opportunity arises within INSEAD. Your data will be deleted after this period.