Department: Dean's Office
Location: Europe Campus
Contract: Permanent - Full Time
Contact: Talent at [email protected]
Posted on: 19 August 2021
Deadline: 12 September 2021
As the Business School for the World, INSEAD brings together people, cultures and ideas from around the world to change lives and transform organisations. The unique global perspective and multicultural diversity of INSEAD are reflected in all aspects of its research and teaching.
The Legal Department of INSEAD is looking for a Commercial Legal Counsel.
Permanent, full time contract, starting as soon as possible and based in Fontainebleau (40 minutes direct train from Paris and shuttle to the campus); (partial) remote work as per internal rules and current government regulations.
Activities & responsibilities
Reporting to the General Counsel based in Fontainebleau, the position holder has extensive experience in French commercial law and will provide legal advice and contract review, drafting and negotiation for all INSEAD departments in France and its representations abroad.
The role includes:
- Review, drafting and negotiation of a variety of contracts including commercial agreements, academic services agreements, data processing agreements, gift agreements, research agreements, event and vendor agreements, and sponsorships as well as institutional partnerships;
- Handling of IP (mainly copyright) matters in an academic and digital context
- Support to departments including faculty, procurement, executive education, finance, advancement, degree programs, student services, campus operations and facilities, etc. in daily operations as business partner;
- Partnering with Data Protection Officer to roll out initiatives on data privacy/GDPR matters;
- Support to the departments with compliance matters;
- Management of institutional policies, general terms and conditions and templates;
- Management of external counsels and litigations;
- Provide ad hoc legal advice and internal trainings.
The role requires diligence and process-orientation as well as effective stakeholder management skills and a good knowledge of contract law, digital law, intellectual property law and privacy law. It may involve collaboration with (external) experts, consultants and regulatory bodies.
The ideal candidate should have the following profile:
- Work experience of 5-8 years in a law firm in France and/or as in-house counsel, preferably in mass-market retail, digital or service industry, education, or equivalent experience in the not-for-profit sector
- Experience in a law firm and/or in an international environment is a plus including multi-location missions or operations across countries and regions; and exposure to a variety of stakeholders in international and multi-cultural work contexts)
- Interest in a cross-jurisdictional / multi-national entity is beneficial
- Desire to work with a variety of stakeholders in an international and multi-cultural setting
- Experience in compliance such as privacy matters a plus
- Have a higher education diploma in Business Law/Contract Law/Digital Law (Master’s Degree), ideally completed by a foreign law degree (such as an LLM)
- Having been called to the bar in France is not essential but would be beneficial
- Strong interpersonal and stakeholder management skills and capability to interact with internal and external stakeholders of various backgrounds and expertise
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills
- Very analytical, proactive with a high sense of customer service
- Sound and practical business judgment; strong problem solver and self-motivated.
- Positive mind-set with a strong capability to build internal partnerships
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Good interpersonal skills and a good team spirit, while being autonomous
- Highest level of integrity and sound independent judgement
- Excellent English level (written and spoken) with practice in writing and negotiating in an international environment, as English is the main language used at INSEAD
- Fluent in French (written and spoken)
- Have strong computer skills
If you are interested please send your resume and cover letter (in English) by e-mail to [email protected]
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified and that valid working papers are mandatory.
We will keep your personal data for a period of 1 year in order to be reviewed in case a new opportunity arises within INSEAD. Your data will be deleted after this period.