Developing Global Leaders, Global Mindset, Designing and Delivering Transformational Learning Experiences
Executive Leadership, Personal Leadership, Global Leadership, Leading Teams, Having Difficult Conversations
Schon Beechler is Senior Affiliate Professor of Leadership and Organisational Behaviour, INSEAD. She received her undergraduate degree with high honours in Sociology and Anthropology from Oberlin College and earned a joint PhD in Business Administration and Sociology from the University of Michigan. She is a specialist in global leadership and the management of multinational corporations. Professor Beechler has lived in Japan for over six years, including eighteen months on a Fulbright Scholarship to study the management of Japanese multinational corporations and one semester as Visiting Associate Professor at the Center for Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
Professor Beechler spent seventeen years on the faculty of Columbia Business School, where she held the title of Associate Professor of Management and taught credit courses in the MBA, Executive MBA and PhD programs. She also served as Faculty Director of the Columbia Senior Executive Program, Columbia’s four-week flagship senior executive program, from 1994 until 2006.
Since 1991 Professor Beechler has designed, directed, and taught in numerous open enrolment and custom executive education programs for for-profit, not-for-profit, and NGOs in the United States, Austral-Asia, and Europe. She has worked with clients such as Hitachi, Itochu, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, Microsoft, Medtronic, Aventis, Iberdrola, Credit Agricole, Kone, Macquarie Group, International Finance Corporation (The World Bank Group), UNICEF, Open Society Foundation, Alston and Bird, the Arts Institute of New York, New York Police Department, and the Fire Department of New York.
Schon has published a number of articles in academic journals in the fields of global leadership, international human resource management and adult education. She has authored two books on Japanese management and her research has also been published in book chapters and practitioner-oriented journals.
Schon was elected to the Executive Committee of the International Management Division, Academy of Management for five years, serving as Chair of the Division from 2004 until 2005 and has worked as a pro bono consultant with Synergos, Save the Children and Teach For America.
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - The Global War for Talent - Journal of International Management
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Leading with a Global Mindset - Elsevier
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - What we Talk About when we Talk About 'Global Mindset': Managerial Cognition in Multinational Corporations - Journal of International Business Studies
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Success Factors for Managing International Joint Ventures in China: A Review and An Integrative Framework - Management and Organization Review
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Enhancing the Impact of an Open-Enrollment Executive Program Through Assessment - Academy of Management Learning and Education
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Does it Really Matter if Japanese MNCs Think Globally? - Emerald Publishing Ltd.
- BOOK CHAPTERS - The Transnational Challenge: Performance and Expatriate Presence in the Overseas of Japanese MNCs - Emerald Publishing Ltd.
- BOOK CHAPTERS - A Partial Test of a Model of Strategic International Human Resource Management - JAI Press
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - A Typology of International Human Resource Management in Japanese MNCs: Organizational Implications - Human Resource Management
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Managing Across Cultures: How American and Japanese Managers who Work Together Perceive Each Other - Journal of the Institute of International Relations
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Links Between Business Strategy and Human Resource Management Strategies in U.S.-based Japanese Subsidiaries: An Empirical Investigation - Journal of International Business Studies
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Toward an Integrative Model of Strategic International Human Resource Management - Academy of Management Review
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - The Transfer of Japanese-Style Management to American Subsidiaries: Contingencies, Constraints, and Competencies - Journal of International Business Studies
- BOOK CHAPTERS - The Transfer of Human Resource Management Systems Overseas: An Exploratory Study of Japanese and American Maquiladoras - Routledge
- BOOK CHAPTERS - The Best of Both Worlds? An Exploratory Study of Human Resource Management Practices in U.S.-based Japanese Affiliates - Routledge
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Linking Business Strategy and Human Resource Management Practices in Multinational Corporations: A Theoretical Framework - JAI Press
- BOOK CHAPTERS - HRM System Integration and Adaptation in Multinational Firms - JAI Press
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - International Management Control in MNCs: The Case of Japanese Consumer Electronics Subsidiaries in Asia - ASEAN Economic Bulletin
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Finding and Developing Global Leaders - Routledge
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Employee Commitment in MNCs: Impacts of Organizational Culture, HRM and Top Management Orientations - International Journal of Human Resources Management
- BOOK CHAPTERS - What Do We Know about the Success and Failure of International Joint Ventures? In Search of Relevance and Holism - Emerald Publishing Ltd.