Phone: 65 6799 5286
Decision Making, Judgment, Forecasting, Memory, Deadline Setting, Philosophy of Science
Management Decision Making (MBA, EMBA), Uncertainty Data and Judgment (MBA), Experimental Design (PhD), Behavioral Decision Making (PhD), Experimental Economics (PhD), The Psychology of Decision Making (EDP)
Neil Bearden is an Associate Professor of Decision Sciences at INSEAD. He holds a PhD in Psychology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Prior to INSEAD, he held postdoctoral positions at the University of Arizona in Management and Systems and Industrial Engineering, and was a Postdoctoral Fellow at Duke University, where he did research in neuroeconomics.
Professor Bearden’s primary research is on human judgment and decision making. He is particularly interested in how people represent and assess uncertainty, the interplay of memory and judgment, and how beliefs and expectations influence perception. He is also doing work in epistemology and philosophy of science, especially as it relates to empirical business research.
At INSEAD, Professor Bearden teaches Management Decision Making (MBA, EMBA); Uncertainty, Data and Judgment (MBA); and PhD courses on Experimental Design, Behavioural Decision Making, and Behavioural Economics. In addition, he teaches The Psychology of Decision Making in a number of executive programs in Asia and the Middle East. Professor Bearden is co-directing INSEAD Leadership Programme for Senior Executives - India.
Professor Bearden’s research has been published in a number of academic journals, including Management Science, Organizational Behavior & Human Decision Processes, The Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, and Manufacturing & Service Operations Management.
Professor Bearden developed and runs the INSEAD Futures Exchange, an electronic prediction market that is used in courses at INSEAD and Wharton.
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Contrasting Stochastic and Support Theory Accounts of Subadditivity - Journal of Mathematical Psychology
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Multi-attribute Sequential Search - Organizational Behavior & Human Decision Processes
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - On the Multi-attribute Stopping Problem with General Value Functions - Operations Research Letters
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Ultimatum Deadlines - Management Science
- BOOK CHAPTERS - On Optimal Satisficing: How Simple Policies Achieve Excellent Results - Springer
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Decision Biases in Revenue Management: Some Behavioural Evidence - Manufacturing and Services Operations Management
- WORKING PAPERS - Ultimatum Deadlines
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - A Stochastic Model of Subadditivity - Journal of Mathematical Psychology
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Sequential Observation and Selection with Rank-dependent Payoffs: An Experimental Test - Management Science
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Experimental Studies of Sequential Selection and Assignment with Relative Ranks - Journal of Behavioral Decision Making
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Sequential Search with Multi-attribute Options - Decision Analysis
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - The Interplay of memory and Judgement processes in Effects of Aging on Hindsight Bias - Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory and Cognition
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - A New Secretary Problem with Rank-based Selection and Cardinal Payoffs - Journal of Mathematical Psychology
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - A Multi-attribute extension of the Secretary Problem: Theory and Experiments - Journal of Mathematical Psychology
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - MINERVA-DM and Subadditive Frequency Judgements - Journal of Behavioral Decision Making
- BOOK CHAPTERS - On Generalized Secretary Problems - Springer
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Operations Research in Experimental Psychology - Springer
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Strategic Behavior in Monkeys - Trends in Cognitive Sciences