Politics, Influence and Networks
How do you overcome political resistance and get things done? What are the benefits to developing and nurturing a network in you organisation and how do you go about this?
Politics, Influence and Networks will raise your awareness about the importance of power and influence in organisational life and provide you with the tools to help you deal with these intangible factors effectively. The programme is not about how to do routine managerial work: that should get done through regular processes in any healthy organisation. It is about how to do things that are not "routine," initiatives that can boost your team or your organisation’s performance but that are stuck due to misunderstandings, indifference, or outright opposition of key stakeholders.
Delivered over three modules, participants will first discuss and understand organisational politics. The following modules will help participants to analyse and create an “infrastructure of influence”, before finally exploring how to best use infrastructures to attain goals.
Using a combination of short lectures, case studies, exercises, and simulations in an engaging and immersive design, participants will alternate between discussions in small virtual groups and plenary sessions to put newly acquired skills to work.
The programme is designed for managers with 2 to 10 years of leadership experience and who want to improve their influencing skills to align their team and stakeholders - within and outside the organisation - to get things done. It will provide you with an opportunity to learn new skills, reflect on your experience, and get expert advice from faculty on how to navigate organisational politics and influence important outcomes. The programme also offers the opportunity to expand your professional network and to learn from the experience of participants from around the world.
Session 1: Why should you care about politics and influence?
- Appreciate the behaviours and habits of effective leaders
- Examine how leaders acquire and use influence, and the consequences of failing to do so for their organisations and their careers
- Through a combination of case study workshops in small groups and plenary discussions you will explore organisational politics and better understand the importance of building your “infrastructure of influence.”
Session 2: Professional networks: The Infrastructure of Influence
- Identify the factors that make professional networks a source of “social capital” and those that can turn it into a liability
- Complete and receive a personalized report on your professional network
- After discussing what makes a professional network a source of social capital, you will work in peer-coaching virtual trios to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of your own network and to identify practical ways to overcome those weaknesses.
Session 3: From knowing to doing: The Network and Influence Simulation
- How to put your networking and influencing skills into practice
- Test your skills at developing, discovering, and leveraging informal networks in a simulated multinational organisation through the Networking and Influence Simulation (NIS) - an educational tool developed at INSEAD
- After the simulation, participants will analyse their results and extract learning points on how to develop and mobilise informal networks to push forward initiatives.
Dates and Delivery
Reflecting today's busy schedules and INSEAD's global outreach, the programme is delivered over three half days.
Please note, sessions are not interchangeable.
All times shown are in CET Paris time. Enrolment deadline: 5pm CET Monday 7 May 2021.
Session 1: 2pm to 5.30pm CET Monday 17 May
Session 2: 2pm to 5.30pm CET Tuesday 18 May
Session 3: 2pm to 5.30pm CET Wednesday 19 May
All times shown are in CET Paris time. Enrolment deadline: 5pm CET Monday 18 June 2021.
Session 1: 9am to 12.30pm CET Monday 28 June
Session 2: 9am to 12.30pm CET Tuesday 29 June
Session 3: 9am to 12.30pm CET Wednesday 30 June
Recommendations for a successful learning experience:
After enrolment and payment on the Eventbrite platform, what happens next?
You will receive an email from INSEAD the week before the programme starts, providing you with your unique and personal access code and link to enrol on the programme (please monitor your junk folder in case it ends up here). As soon as you receive this email and to avoid complications on the day of the programme, we strongly advise that you click on the link and complete your enrolment straight away.
How can I ensure successful participation?
- Save the session dates in your calendar for easy reference
- Start your connection 15 minutes early, so that you have time to adjust the audio
- For an optimal experience, connect using Google Chrome which is fully compatible with Barco technology. Otherwise you can connect using the latest version of Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox or Safari if connecting on MAC. Please do not use Internet Explorer
- Ensure you have a stable broadband internet connection
- Close all other applications on your computer
- Connect individually from your computer with a headset and microphone for best audio
- Keep your webcam open throughout the session
- Note there is no dial-up connection, nor compatibility with mobile phones
Who do I contact if I have questions about my enrolment?
Send an email to [email protected], providing details of the problem.
Enrol and Pay
Get the INSEAD experience wherever you are in the world. Challenging, inspirational and transformative, INSEAD GO-Live delivers tangible and lasting impact from the word go.
Politics, Influence and Networks will be delivered over three half days. Visit 'Dates and Delivery' to view the complete set of dates and times.
Click on the link below, enrol and pay, and save the programme in your calendar.
Programme fee: 2790 SGD
Alumni fee: 1690 SGD
Connection: for an optimal experience we recommend using Google Chrome browser. Otherwise you can connect using the latest version of Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox or Safari if connecting on MAC. Please do not use Internet Explorer.
Visit timeanddate.com to find out which session works best for your time zone.