The INSEAD Randomized Controlled Trials Lab facilitates academic research on the drivers of firm productivity, competitiveness and growth at INSEAD using randomized field experiments that will form the basis of evidence-based management and policy recommendations. It provides a channel through which the school can contribute to economic development and prosperity. Funded by the Abu Dhabi Education Council, its geographic focus is primarily on the Middle East and Africa.
Field experiments using RCTs are the standard methodology used in medicine through clinical trials and are considered the “gold standard” for high-quality research because they allow for causal evaluation and the elimination of biases through randomization. This methodology is increasingly adopted by scholars in management science and economics, and we expect that it will also become the “gold standard” for high-quality research in these disciplines.
The Lab supports research to conduct field experiments with firms using RCTs by providing infrastructure and resources such as knowledge, advice, networks, and leads to research sites and sources of funding. More specifically, the Lab will:
- Serve as a repository of knowledge and information for field experiments using RCTs
- Facilitate connections between our faculty and firms/organisations to run field experiments using RCTs
- Assist INSEAD faculty to access funding for projects
- Help translate research findings into evidence-based management and policy recommendations
- Organise conferences on field experiments with firms using RCTs
Academic Director, INSEAD RCT Lab
Associate Professor of Economics and Political Science