Gender Research Lab meetings are academic presentations and discussions featuring faculty across INSEAD's disciplines for sharing collective insights on gender research.
Asher Lawson (Decision Sciences, INSEAD). Hiring Women into Senior Leadership positions is associated with a reduction in Gender stereotypes in Organizational Language. November 2022
Women continue to be underrepresented in leadership positions. This underrepresentation is at least partly driven by gender stereotypes that associate men, but not women, with achievement-oriented, agentic traits (e.g., assertive and decisive). These stereotypes are expressed and perpetuated in language, with women being described in less agentic terms than men.
Isabelle Solal (Management, ESSEC). 'Not My CEO’: Gender Effects in Employee Evaluations of the Chief Executive. October 2022
We explore the impact of gender on a CEO’s ability to garner the support of their employees. Employing the lens of social identity theory and status competition between groups to understand reactions to female leadership, we theorize that employees are less likely to approve of female than of male CEOs. Moreover, we consider how heightened perceptions of threat may moderate penalties for women CEOs, and posit that the approval gap will be wider when female leaders are perceived as more of a threat to the existing gender hierarchy, notably for male employees, and among firms that pursue diversity initiatives in support of women and minorities.
Ella Miron-Spektor (Organisational Behaviour, INSEAD). Think Funny, Think Female: The Benefits of Humor for Women's Influence in the Digital Age. June 2022.
Katherine Coffman (Harvard Business School), a joint seminar INSEAD DS/EPS/IGI. A Dynamic Investigation of Stereotypes, Belief Updating, and Behavior. Februrary 2022.
Kaisa Snellman (Organisational Behaviour, INSEAD), Maria Guadalupe (Economics, INSEAD), and Daisy Pollenne (Research Associate, INSEAD). Retaining Talent in Organizations: Diversity, Inclusion and Norms. February 2022.
Sherrie Xue (PhD Student, INSEAD) and Stephanie Lin (Marketing, INSEAD). The Adverse Role of Heterosexual Standards in Male Dyadic Consumption Sharing. January 2022.
Chiara Trombini (IGI, INSEAD). Self-Affirmation as an Intervention to Mitigate Gnder Effects in Negotiations. October 2021.
Elisabeth Wolf (Organisational Behaviour Area, INSEAD)
Eliot Sherman (London Business School)
Chiara Spina (Entrepreneurship and Family Enterprise, INSEAD). How do Women-Led Entrepreneruial Firms Manage Change? Experimental Evidence from a Pre-Acceleration Program. March 2021.
Chiara Trombini, Winnie Jiang, and Zoe Kinias (IGI and Organisational Behaviour Area, INSEAD). Receiving Social Support Motivates Prosocial Behaviors Within and Beyond Organizations. February 2021.
Raina Brands (London Business School). Extending the Construal Approach: When and Why Women Benefit from Brokerage. January 2021.
Wesley Koo (Strategy, INSEAD) and Kaisa Snellman (Organisational Behaviour Areas, INSEAD). Gender Gaps in Entrepreneurship: Evidence from E-Commerce. December 2020.
- Natalia Karelaia (Decision Sciences, INSEAD)
- Stephen Hwang (Strategy, INSEAD)
- Modupe Akinola (Columbia Business School & visiting IGI, INSEAD), Chiara Trombini (IGI, INSEAD), and Zoe Kinias (IGI and Organisational Behaviour Area, INSEAD)
- Clarissa Cortland (IGI, INSEAD) and Zoe Kinias (IGI and Organisational Behaviour Area, INSEAD)
- Kaisa Snellman and Isabelle Solal (Organisational Behaviour Area, INSEAD)
- Dylan Glover (Economics, INSEAD)
- Alexandra Roulet (Economics, INSEAD)
- Arianna Marchetti (PhD, INSEAD) and Phanish Puranam (Strategy, INSEAD)
- Jessica Pan (NUS)
- Christiane Bode (Bocconi)
- Clarissa Cortland (IGI, INSEAD) and Zoe Kinias (IGI and Organisational Behaviour Area, INSEAD)
- Clément Bellet and David Dubois (Marketing, INSEAD)
- Isabelle Solal (PhD, INSEAD)
- Morten Bennedsen (Entrepreneurship and Family Enterprise, INSEAD)
- Xi Kang and Juan Ma (Strategy, INSEAD)
- Leena Kinger Hans (PhD, INSEAD) and Juan Ma (Strategy, INSEAD)
Enhancing the Culture of Respect and Inclusion in the Workshop, December 01, 2022 [in-person, Singapore]
Diversity and Inclusion remain top priorities of organisations everywhere. Join us this unique and insightful discussion on how HR leaders are making workplaces even more welcoming and how organisations are increasingly becoming a positive contributor to societal change.
Panelist: Dr. Vinika Rao, Executive Director of INSEAD Gender Initiative; Mr. Hosea Lai, Senior Director of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion of Applied Materials Asia Pacific. > Register
14 November 2022
- "Retaining Talent in Organizations: Masculinity, Inclusion and Norms" in Conference on Diversity, Equity adn Inclusion in Economics, Finance, and Central Banking. Paper by Guadalupe Maria, Pollenne Daisy and Snellman Kaisa. Click here for webcast.
25 August 2022
- 11th Asian Women in Leadership Summit: "Integrating Diversity & Inclusion with Sustainability Strategy", webinar
17 June 2022
- Vinika Rao spoke at the 1st Asia Pacific Women in Surgery Advisory Board Meeting.
06 June 2022
- Professor Zoe Kinias led the "How to be an Ally" workshop, which kicked off a series of events organized by OUTSEAD, to celebrate Pride Month.
21 May 2022
- Zoe Kinias, Vinika Rao, and Dirk Luyten spoke at the “Gender and the Future of Work” Forum - ChangeNOW Summit. Details here.
17 March 2022
- INSEAD LIfelong Learning hosted the webinar "How to Integrate Diversity Equity and Inclusion in Businesses". Speakers: Kay Formanek, Zoe Kinias, and Dirk Luyten. Moderator: Vinika Rao. See Event Photos.
14 January 2022
- Professor Zoe Kinias shared research in collaboration with Dr. Chiara Trombini and Prof. Winnie Jiang on how receiving social support motivates global business leaders and workers to engage in prosocial behaviors. This research tests the impact of receiving social support at interpersonal, organizational, and societal levels.
09 December 2021
- Vinika Rao, Executive Director of the INSEAD Gender Initiative, spoke at the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Global Conference organized by The Conference Board. Agenda and details here.
17 November 2021
- INSEAD Gender Initiative participated in the event "GBSN Beyond: Virtual Conference Reimagined". Dr. Vinika Rao, Executive Director of the IGI, moderated an exciting session on the impact of COVID-19 on gender equity and on some strategies to proactively center gender equity in our recovery efforts. More info here.
17 September 2021
- As part of the Asia Employee Wellbeing Week, Vinika Rao spoke on "Why a Specific Focus on Women’s Wellbeing?". Vinika discusses how the past few years impacted gender inclusion efforts in the workplace as well as solutions going forward.
15 September 2021
- As part of the Diversity Week, Zoe Kinias, INSEAD Associate Professor and Academic Director of the INSEAD Gender Initiative, led an Allyship Workshop.
07 July 2021
- Vinika Rao, executive director of the INSEAD Gender Initiative, offered insights into the conversation on "Managing Diversity in Distributed Teams" at The Future of Teams Conference hosted by Cosmic Centaurs.
27-29 May 2021
- Zoe Kinias, academic director of the INSEAD Gender Initiative, spoke on "Motivating Women's Empowerment and Other Societal Benefits", at the Driving Change for the Planet - ChangeNOW Summit.
22 March 2021
- International Women's Day 2021, Panel discussion by GEMBA 2022, supported by the INSEAD Gender Initiative.
3-5 November 2020
- As part of the SDG Week 2020, a thought-provoking session on diversity, inclusion and how best to address, incorporate and support such conversations and initiatives at the workplace. "The conversation has to come from the perspective of the people who experience what the challenges are," Morgan Stanley’s Managing Director, Lucy Quist reminded us alongside an impressive panel of Marlon Bowman (FNB South Africa’s Head of Customer Experience), Susan Lloyd-Hurwitz (Mirvac’s CEO & Managing Director), Felicia Henderson (Henderson Advising’s Founder), and INSEAD Professor Zoe Kinias. For a recording of the webinar, click here.
29 October 2020
- Stephanie Creary, Assistant Professor of Management at Wharton, discusses and provides insights on how we can be an ally for Black colleagues. Zoe Kinias, INSEAD Associate Professor and Academic Director of the INSEAD Gender Initiative, moderates the discussion. For a recording of the webinar, click here.
26 October 2020
- Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM) & the INSEAD Middle East campus in Abu Dhabi co-host a live webcast session to shed light on policies and practices shaping organizational culture in a gender-positive manner with expert speakers from INSEAD, Aurora50, ADNOC Group and Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM). For a recording of the webinar, click here.
24 June 2020
- Modupe Akinola, INSEAD’s Gender Initiative (IGI) Visiting Professor and Columbia Business School Associate Professor, shares insights on gender differences in an important leadership skill: delegation. For a recording of the webinar, click here.
16 July 2020
- Felicia Henderson, EMCCC '17 Science Po Adjunct Professor and Leadership Consultant, discusses the construction of anti-Black racism as a belief system conceived and maintained in support of colonial economic ambitions. For a recording of the webinar, click here.
09 June 2020
- INSEAD’s Gender Initiative (IGI), in collaboration with INSEAD’s Women in Business (IWiB) alumni, shares insights from business leaders and extant research findings on how to utilize the COVID disruption toward developing gender balance. For a recording of the webinar, click here.
23 April 2020
- INSEAD Professor and Academic Director of Global Private Equity Initiative Claudia Zeisberger moderated a panel discussion on "Venture Capital in Times of Stress".