Governance in a Disrupted World
What changing forces are shaping today's governance?
The role of the board is becoming increasingly challenging with the way disruption is shaping the global business climate. The two-day thought-leadership event, 12-13 October 2018, addresses the latest trends, challenges and opportunities shaping today’s volatile corporate governance landscape. Bringing together academic experts, directors, board members and top executives, the forum offers a unique platform for participants to scan the current landscape in corporate governance, discuss and exchange on the crucial role corporate governance plays on businesses and uncover what it takes to be an effective Chair in such environment.
Be inspired and engaged by our line-up of distinguished speakers and guest panelists who will share their views, experiences and best practices including tackling issues surrounding diversity in boards and sovereignty.
On the first evening, Friday 12 October, we will celebrate the new INSEAD IDP-C Directors who completed the requirements for INSEAD Certificate in Corporate Governance. The Award Ceremony and dinner will be hosted at the Fontainebleau’s Castle.
The event is open to all former participants of the International Directors Programme and IN-BOARD members.
Please click here to download the participants' list (only those who are accepted to be in the list).
The programme for the forum stretches over two days.
The official programme covers two half-days on Friday, 12 October afternoon and Saturday, 13 October morning with optional programmes and activities organised on Friday morning and Saturday afternoon. We advise all participants to look through the programme carefully before planning your itinerary
*Note that this is a tentative programme, subject to changes. Be sure to check it regularly for updates.
Friday 12 October 2018
Morning: Optional programme
Ambassador & IDN Board Members Breakfast Meeting
Optional session: Governance Discussions (registration required)
Friday 12 October 2018
Afternoon: Official Programme
Registration and Networking Lunch
Opening Remarks and Welcome: Scanning the Corporate Governance Landscape
Managing Disruption at Board and Executive Levels
Framing Emerging Risks on the Board Agendas - Case Discussion
Award Ceremony of the Certificate in Corporate Governance
Saturday 13 October 2018
Morning: Official programme
IDN Board Meeting around Breakfast (by invitation only)
The rising force of Shareholder Activism and Governance
Developing Board Chair Effectiveness and Emerging Trends
Gender in the Boardroom - Why Few Women Sit in the Chairs?
Wrap up and Closing
Saturday 13 October 2018
Afternoon: Optional session
Annual General Assembly of the INSEAD Directors Network (IDN)
IDN Advocate and Connect
Optional Workshop 1: Directors as Athletes
End of Programme
Guest of Honour
Dr. Andreas Jacobs
Chairman of the INSEAD Board
Member of the Board of Jacobs Holding AG
Speakers & Panelists
Ludo Van der Heyden
Emeritus Professor of Technology and Operations Management
The INSEAD Chaired Professor of Corporate Governance
Co-Director of the International Directors Programme
José Luis Alvarez
Academic Director, INSEAD Corporate Governance Centre
Senior Affiliate Professor of Leadership and Organisational Behaviour
Sophie J. Lamb QC
Partner, Latham & Watkins
Board Director, INSEAD Foundation
Board Director, Futuren Group S.A., France (EDF EN)
Board Director, SCR Sibelco, Belgium
Board Director and Trustee, CARA, UK ("The Times Higher Education Charity of the Year")
Chairman, Board of United Fund for Belgium
Managing Director, Levante Capital Management
Chairman, Advanced Boardroom Excellence Ltd.
Chairman, Pladis and Board member, CIPD
Seats are limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis with priority given to Certified Directors of the International Directors Programme (IDP-C).
12-13 October 2018
Limited number of rooms have been pre-reserved for this event from Friday 12 October to Saturday 13 October 2018.
In order to secure your booking, please complete and return the Accommodation Booking Form to HOTELRESA.email@example.com before Monday 3 September 2018. After this date, we cannot guarantee availability of those rooms.
For those arriving earlier for the Innovation and Growth Programme, please contact Cécile Vidal at firstname.lastname@example.org
The INSEAD Directors Forum will take place at:
INSEAD Europe Campus
Boulevard de Constance
The dress code is business casual for the forum and smart casual for the award dinner.
If you have any special dietary requirements or allergies, please inform us in advance or during your registration on Eventbrite, so that we can accommodate your needs as best as possible.
Should you wish to reserve a taxi for your ARRIVAL and DEPARTURE, please do it online and contact the ResaTaxiPro. All cars are equipped with credit card terminals (American Express® / Eurocard- Mastercard® / Visa International®).
Find out more on getting to INSEAD Europe Campus (airports, train stations…).
Media, filming and photography
Please be aware that some of the sessions will be filmed. INSEAD will engage professional photographers for this event. We reserve the right to use any film and/or photography from the event in our print and digital marketing collateral. Participants who do not wish to be filmed or recorded should advise us prior to the conference and various events.
Governance Discussions Session
Understand & manage technology impact on strategy and business models
Facilitated by Mary Francia
- In today’s digital economy, the impact of technology in strategy execution requires a close link to operational risk as much as to talent, portfolio, revenues, and account management – it touches all aspects of the business. Does it require a closer board oversight?
- For the past 18 years, companies have spent a good % of budgets and CAPEX converting analog data to digital – the last years were setting up digital platforms to capture consumer data, technology platforms are key to reach consumers and ensure the offerings translate to what consumers need – and the business models align.
- With Artificial Intelligence (AI) we have the opportunity with the data and technology platforms to optimize our consumer knowledge – in real time bring it to the portfolio, offerings, investments, and hopefully extend or renew the company relevancy in the market.
- What can the board do to understand and manage the impact of technology to the strategy and business models?
- Should we? At what level?
- If yes, what should we learn? In what format? How often?
Assess & oversee cyber resilience from the board
Facilitated by Dominic Nixon
- Board Responsibilities defined
- Access to Expertise
- Social Media Risk
Oversee culture, talent, pipeline & succession in time of innovation & transformation
Facilitated by Helen Pitcher
The oversight of culture, talent, pipeline & succession, as seen through the withering lens of innovation and transformation, should stimulate and leverage a Board’s wisdom and insight, providing a truly critical thinking challenge.
We can see more clearly into the structured elements of talent management, pipeline diversity and executive succession, with a sense of getting from a known place to a future space.
As we wrap these three elements in a cloak of culture, the picture starts to blur; from an unclear current culture? to what future cultural landscape?
As we pierce these four constructs with the arrows of innovation and transformation, the role of the Board becomes a much more strategic partnership with the executive team, seeking to create an agile business on a journey where the strategic antenna are fully engaged.
What do boards need to know about corporate culture? by Spencer Stuart
Align risk management with strategy & operating performance but also with reward & remuneration
Facilitated by Susana Gomez-Smith
As the ultimate steward of value and overseer of risk, the board must grasp the relationship between strategy and risk and assist management, in gaining that understanding but also in putting it to practical use. The Board must also ensure that remuneration policies/practices are consistent with and promote sound and effective risk management and in line with the business strategy.
- Why should the Board consider and discuss strategy and risk appetite in tandem? How to do it in practice?
- What can the board do to drive greater awareness of the risks to the strategy throughout the organization?
- “Remuneration forms part of the culture and governance priority as set out in our Business Plan. As a key driver of behaviour, remuneration of senior and risk taking staff is an important area of focus for the FCA in order to ensure that risk and reward are aligned in firms that we regulate through our Remuneration Codes (the Codes). Whilst our remuneration rules only apply to specific groups of firms, remuneration is a key driver of behaviour for all firms and individuals. Implementing appropriate remuneration policies and practices helps to ensure appropriate outcomes and reduces the likelihood of harm from occurring“
Financial Conduct Authority, Remuneration Codes
How can Boards satisfy themselves that firms remuneration practices lead to appropriate outcomes and risk and reward are aligned?
Strategic Risk Management: A Primer for Directors, Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation
The UK Corporate Code, Financial Reporting Council (from page 16)
Balance short & long term focus on innovation & capital allocation
Facilitated by Christopher de Mattos
- What would you do differently if you were managing your business with a one-year view vs a ten-year view?
- What incentives would induce executives to favour short or long-term activities?
- How do these incentives affect listed companies and what evidence do stock markets offer?
- Are the incentives different for private companies?
- If the incentives are different, which environment produces more innovative companies?
- How can capital allocation be improved to support innovation and the long-term health of a business?
Don’t Blame Stock Markets for Peril of Short-Termism, Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation
Anticipate & manage for geopolitical, trade, corporate governance codes & regulators changes
Facilitated by Cleopatra Kitti
- Anticipate: define, measurement, audit
- Proactive VS Reactive: crisis management, response mechanism, measurement and evaluation
- What does this mean for the Board? (perspective, information, connecting the dots, risk measurement, scenario planning, regular review)
Measuring Geopolitical Risk, Dario Caldara and Matteo Iacoviello
Balance governance of disruption & long term value creation for stakeholders
Facilitated by Liselotte Engstam
Less than 60 companies remain since first identifying the list of the largest companies in the world the, Fortune 500 the first time 1955. Their lifespan has shrunk from 75 years to under 15 years.
- How do we balance and reimagine our companies for the future, to cope with the increasing speed of change and disruption?
- What is the role of the board?
- What is the responsibility of investors?
- What experiences do we have from our board work?
- What experiences do we have from handling investor communication?
Long-term Boards in a Short-term World, FCLTGlobal
Accelerate board effectiveness through composition, committee structure, processes, tools & assessments
Facilitated by Thomas Seale
The purpose of this governance discussion will be to share experiences of best (or worst) practices based on your personal experience. Please read this excerpt from the Harvard Business School and come to the session with a single experience that you would like to share in order to contribute to a group learning experience.
We hope that you had an enriching and memorable experience at the Forum and enjoyed the opportunity to reconnect with your friends from the IDP!
Please click here to download all the IDF presentations
It is our delight to share with you the photos taken by our professional photographer during the event which captured the treasured moments in the IDF.
Enjoy and click here to access the photo gallery.