Phone: 33 (0)1 60 72 45 43
Retailing, Social Media, Marketing Insight, New Products, Value Creation and Value Capture
Marketing Strategy, Branding, Retail and Distribution
Marcel is The Unilever Chaired Professor of Marketing at INSEAD. He is the creator and director of their Storewars program for senior executives in the consumer goods industries.
After his studies in Belgium, Marcel received his PhD from the University of California, Berkeley, where his doctoral dissertation won 1st prize from the American Marketing Association. He taught at Berkeley before joining INSEAD in 1978, and has since been visiting professor at Cornell and Stanford.
At INSEAD Marcel has developed his research and consulting activities in marketing strategy with a particular focus on innovation, distribution channels and the interaction between distrubutors and manufacturers. His current research interests focus on the relationship between manufacturers and retailers in the fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) industry.
He has authored a number of pedagogical computer simulations and decision support systems (most recently, Allocator and phValue). His best known simulations are 'Stratpharm', and 'Elexir' for the Pharmaceutical industry, accompanied by a book on Marketing Strategy in the Pharmaceutical Industry, and 'StorEwars', specifically designed for the FMCG industry. The latter simulation is also accompanied by a book, co-authored with his wife, Judith Corstjens. The book is called Store Wars: The Battle for Mindspace and Shelfspace (J. Wiley & Sons) and analyzes and proposes strategies for manufacturers and retailers in the FMCG industry.
Aside from his books, Marcel has published his articles in a number of international academic journals including: Marketing Science, Management Science, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Researchr, Journal of Business, and Harvard Business Review. His research has been featured in the Harvard Business Review, and the Economist.
Marcel's consulting activities focus on marketing strategy in the pharma and the FMCG industries.
- MARKPACK: A Marketing Decision Support System
- STORWARS: A Consumer Goods' Marketing Simulation
- STRATPHARM: A Pharmaceutical Business Game
- Retail Doesn’t Cross Borders: Here’s Why and What to Do About It
- The power of inertia: Conservatism in Marketing Resource Allocation
- Competition, Risk and Return in the US Grocery Industry
- An International Empirical Analysis of the Financial Performance of Manufacturers and Retailers
- Financial Risk and Return across the Grocery Supply Chain
- How do Investors Assess the Relative Performance of Retailers and Manufacturers in the US and Europe?
- Stock Market Performance of Family Firms
- How do Investors Assess the Relative Performance of Retailers and Manufacturers in the US and in Europe?
- Performance of Family Firms: Evidence from US and European firms and investors
- New-product Success in the Pharmaceutical Industry: How Many Bites at the Cherry?
- Store Wars: The Battle for Shelfspace and Mind Space